Thread: Difficulties installing GCC 3.1

Hybrid View

Difficulties installing GCC 3.1

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to install GCC 3.1 from source. I've tried several times to no avail. I'm a newbie to Linux, but I want to learn how to install apps from source. (I have read that the compiler would be the hardest thing for a newbie to install, so I wanted to figure out how.) I downloaded the full source tarball of GCC 3.1. I've read the documentation that comes with that several times (it's confusing, but I did it). So, I tried doing this:

$ mkdir gcc-build-3.1
    $ cd gcc-build-3.1
    $ ../gcc-3.1/configure --prefix=/home/x/Programs/gcc-3.1
    $ make bootstrap
    $ make prefix=/home/x/Programs/gcc-3.1 install

Now, to test out the compiler I have it compile a simple c++ program I wrote to output 'Hello.'. I type the following to compile and run the program:

$ /home/x/Programs/gcc-3.1/bin/g++ -o hello hello.cpp
    $ ./hello

When I do that, I get the following:

error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Isn't that my standard c++ library? Why wasn't that installed? And how do I install it?

(BTW, I'm running Mandrake Linux 8.1 Standard Edition with GCC 2.96)

Re: Difficulties installing GCC 3.1

IIRC, on a regular installation of Mandrake none of these libraries are installed unless you chose them. *Open the rpm management program thingy and check to see what you can or what you have installed. *Then, if you have a cd, just install the libraries.

When I looked through the Mandrake Update in Software Manager, I discovered they had GCC3.0.1-1.1 in RPM format (with it's libraries... it installed libstdc++.so.3).

GCC 3.0.1-1.1 and GCC 3.0.4 (installed that this morning from source) both compile the app... and the app runs properly and outputs 'Hello.'. However, GCC 3.1 still complains of missing libraries.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is: what wasn't installed, why wasn't it installed, and how do I install it? I'm trying to do as much of this by source as possible because I want to learn what's going on... so if anyone could help or point me in the direction of help that a newbie can understand, I'd much appreciate it!

Try making a link from libstdc++.so.3 to libstdc++.so.4

Oops! Sorry! libstdc++.so.4 does exist!

When I went to make a link, I suddenly realized that I hadn't checked to see if libstdc++.so.4 existed... (embarresed pause)... and it did. The strange thing was, it's path was '/home/x/Programs/gcc-3.1/lib/libstdc++.so.4'. It was a link to 'libstdc++.so.4.0.0', so I made a link to that in '/usr/lib' to it, and now I can compile my c++ apps just fine (with just that user, obviously)...

So... why were my GCC libraries put under '/home/x/Programs/gcc-3.1/lib'? And why didn't GCC know that's where they were since GCC installed them there itself?

Is there any way to compile GCC in such a way that it DOES know where those libraries are?

* * *$ ../gcc-3.1/configure --prefix=/home/x/Programs/gcc-3.1
    * * *$ make bootstrap
    * * *$ make prefix=/home/x/Programs/gcc-3.1 install
    Because of this
    You make the prefix = /home/x/Programs/gcc-3.1 not /usr
    so you have to edit /etc/ld.so.config and add the lib path and then run ldconfig.

It worked!

Thanks! GCC 3.1 works now!

As I said, I'm a newbie...

No problem ;D