Thread: Vista

Vista

i would love to know everyone's thoughts on Vista. I have a beta installed on a extra laptop i have at work and personally i like XP better!

Wait until first service package for Vista before switching to it. It is still quite "buggy" yet.

I have Vista Business 32bit installed as my main OS, and so far so good. I've been playing around with it since RC1, and they've made major improvements. It's more stable than XP or 2k (what I went from). I still have problems when recovering from hibernation (my computer only wakes up 50% of the time, so I don't use that feature anymore)... I also installed office 2k7, and I'm decently impressed (except start up time is a little slow) I'm an engineering major, so I really like the new equation editor. I also have VPC 2007 with Gentoo 2007.0 stage 1 running smoothly, I don't know if it's the vista scheduler or the amd hardware virtualization, but I notice no performance loss in running a virtual machine (I don't use X, but things emerge quick, so I'm happy). But I digress.
    63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs,
    ya get 1 whacked with a service pack,
    now there's 63,005 bugs in the code!!

I got to play with RC1, RC2 and work was kinda enough to purchase a copy of Ultimate for us.. In short... I don't like it.

Being asked every 2 seconds about weather you want to install something, change a setting by default is rather anoying... (yes I know you can turn it off).

It doesn't play COD 2 OR Quake 3 or ANY Open GL games... Why release an OS with no Open GL support.

The operating system itself is hungrier then an entire 3rd world country, It has average application support, and Driver support has only really picked up in the last couple of months.

It's hideously expensive, runs like tard on anything but a high end box...

Upsides...

It does look pretty (but unfortunately it doesn't look as good as linux running compbiz/Beryl..

Direct X 10... I don't like direct X... but they did save the gaming industry with it.

Umm... thats it...