Thread: is there a program that replaces explorer.exe?

is there a program that replaces explorer.exe?

I noticed that i can close explorer.exe and my computer still runs, there just isnt a program to handle the icons or to organize the open programs. Is there some kind of program that replaces this and maybe has more features, like a mac style or something? Just wondering because i know there is style XP which just changes how the PC looks. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tyty View Post
    I noticed that i can close explorer.exe and my computer still runs, there just isnt a program to handle the icons or to organize the open programs. Is there some kind of program that replaces this and maybe has more features, like a mac style or something? Just wondering because i know there is style XP which just changes how the PC looks. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tyty View Post

This will be over soon, and then I can ...

explorer.exe cannot be "replaced" as in with some other file as it is not only your desktop and taskbar, it is your file explorer. You can use Litestep to replace it's use as a shell, as Litestep has a ton more functionality, is open source, and uses far less memory. Look around the web.

Associate
    I found this article to be a good intro to Windows customization
    http://www.apurva.com/Articles/AGuid...4/Default.aspx

Replacing exploder

I realize that im probably just digging up an old thread..

but I thought I would let anyone posting know that you can have a working environment under windows without running explorer.

I have replaced my shell with Litestep, and I have replaced the file manager with the A43 file management utility..

I have even went past the point of simply bypassing explorer and have completely removed internet explorer and explorer.. This includes the dllcache entries. Of course you must have windows file protection disabled to do this..

The only thing I can't figure out is even with windows\explorer.exe deleted and internet explorer deleted, When I bring up a run dialogue, and enter a path c:\whatever, explorer still shows up, even though it cannot be found anywhere on the pc.. The only thing I can figure is the ivista icon pack has some sort of simular shell?

It is actually kind of comical, the Ms update website is unable to detect the os....
    Last edited by CMNetworx; 12-05-2007 at 03:26 AM. Reason: added on some stuff

BB4Win, and GeoShell have been my favorites.
    arrogance breeds ignorance

Screaming Electron, Full of BSD Goodness