Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

sound card problem

Thread: sound card problem

Exclamation sound card problem

Hi friends
    I am using fedora core 4 in my intel p4 (2.8 gz) /intel original motherboard machine. My sound card was disabled initially( I am using onboard soundcard), but when I enabled sound card, the machine failed to boot (It stops when initializing hardware). Can somebody
    help me. Thanks in advance.
    Regards
    Arun

Good Guru
    Well there are 2 things that you have at your disposal depending on what you need to do.

1) If you can upgrade to Fedora 7, do that. Hardware issues are generally kernel related, and going 3 revs is definitely changing your kernel. Also, if its not the kernel, a new version of ALSA may help too.

2) Drop to single user and manually update your system. Mind you, FC4 is ancient, and no longer supported. I am not sure what a 'yum update' will do for you.

If you are being told that you need FC4 due to a class or something, update anyway or reinstall FC4 in a vm (like vmware of virtualbox) on your Windows or Mac based machine. Linux has been perfectly supported on vms for ages.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Associate
    Quote Originally Posted by arun.salian View Post
    Hi friends
    I am using fedora core 4 in my intel p4 (2.8 gz) /intel original motherboard machine. My sound card was disabled initially( I am using onboard soundcard), but when I enabled sound card, the machine failed to boot (It stops when initializing hardware).Arun
    Of course you have sorted the problem out since July, but I wanted to say that it sounds like a problem of IRQ allocation frequent on older pc most often occuring with sound cards which by default will use an interrupt which conflicts with another device.
    It used to be the IRQ 5 and sometimes the same IRQ 11 as the modem, resulting in the modem not connecting to the Internet.

In your case, not booting since the sound card is enabled, then it's because the sound card is using (by default, by manufacturer settings) an IRQ belonging to another device, one essential to system initialization.

Actually the system stops while initializing the hardware, telling you that there is a problem: conflict of hardware allocation sharing.

anyway, I just wanted to say this, as I don't think tha tin this particular case upgrading to a later system would change anything.
    removing the card would cure the problem.

$ cat /proc/interrupts

CPU0
    0: 5067964 XT-PIC timer
    1: 31559 XT-PIC i8042
    2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
    6: 4505 XT-PIC floppy
    7: 4 XT-PIC parport0
    8: 2 XT-PIC rtc
    9: 15211 XT-PIC acpi
    11: 1319146 XT-PIC uhci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb2, uhci_hcd:usb3, ehci_hcd:usb4, yenta, yenta, Intel 82801DB-ICH4 Modem, radeon@pci:0000:01:00.0, Intel 82801DB-ICH4, eth0
    12: 3472075 XT-PIC i8042
    14: 530024 XT-PIC ide0
    15: 177156 XT-PIC ide1
    NMI: 0
    LOC: 0
    ERR: 0
    MIS: 0

see also:
    cat /proc/dma and /proc/ioports

so to install a sound card
    $ sndconfig [options] sndconfig is a txt-based tool used to conf the sound card.
    sndconfig --help
    sndconfig --noprobe
    sndconfig --noautoconfig
    making sure that there are no conflicting devices, since sndconfig won't detect the problem.