Thread: G'day a new boy with a hat full of problems

G'day a new boy with a hat full of problems

G'day my name is peter - a new boy and a real dill when it comes to computers. all my grand children usually help out but not with this one - can you help please.

have optus adsl+2 and a radio modem. have a dlink card on my laptop and it works fine.
    when i say "fine" - i have Ubuntu and windows xp installed on my laptop - the drive is partitioned with the greater part devoted to Ubuntu because i would like not to need windows.

at present via the dlink card i can axcess the internet via windows and we do not know how to set up Ubuntu so that i can connect to the internet via my radio card.

have found the place to enter the required information but do not know what to enter.

for a dill like me xp connects almost automatically - is there some site i should go to or is there a book that i can buy that will instruct me.

thanks for any assistance

regards peter

Advisor
    What type is your D-link card ?
    If you know the type of your card, the Linux Wireless database will give you a hint if theres a need to go any further.
    have found the place to enter the required information but do not know what to enter.
    When you say, you've found where to enter the information, are you talking about the network configuration tool ?
    My first guess would be to find out what Acess Point windows is connecting to, and what type of security it uses WEP/WPA_PSK (if any) and then enter those values into the appropriate input fields.
    This info can be found, by hovering with the mouse pointer over the "network connection" icon next to the clock in your lower right corner, it should say something like: Connected to (your AP) speed (54Mb) Quality Good
    If you double click the icon, you will get a list of the APs available with yours listed at the top, with a notice (connected) if you right click it, and select properties it should provide you with information to wether it's encrypted and what type of encryption (WEP/WPA) it uses.
    Don't worry Ma'am. We're university students, - We know what We're doing.
    'Ruiat coelum, fiat voluntas tua.'
    Datalogi - en livsstil; Intet liv, ingen stil.