Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

How online prices change every minute or so?

Thread: How online prices change every minute or so?

How online prices change every minute or so?

Hi,

Please accpet my sincere apolozies if this thread it does not deserve a place here. As we often find these days on the internet, when we books tickets be ir air or bus or train online, the price keeps changing every minute or after sale of each ticket. How this can be done? Do the programmers change the price manuall in their database against each ticket no or there is some sort of programming/scripting involve that produces this change in price every so often. Thanks....

They probably have logic built into the system that accounts for supply and demand, season, special discounts, etc.

For example, there might be a trigger that fires every time a ticket is bought for a flight. When there are are 10 seats left, the trigger might increase the price by 20%. Another process might constantly search for available flights on different airlines on the same schedule and destination, and adjust their prices accordingly. Another process might check to see if there are 8 or more seats left on a plane that leaves within three hours, and discount 30% off the pirce of those seats, just to get them filled (empty seats make no money for the company, and the cost of the flight is still the same..) You get the idea.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Quote Originally Posted by trickster View Post
    They probably have logic built into the system that accounts for supply and demand, season, special discounts, etc.

For example, there might be a trigger that fires every time a ticket is bought for a flight.
    Great answer. But are the companies any way required by the law to disclose the logic or the price building method/programs/code etc to the governing bodies? Thanks...

I wouldn't think so. After all, those would probably be considered trade secrets. Otherwise, I can look at your algorithm for pricing tickets, and write one for my site that does it the same way but at just $5 off from your price.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Quote Originally Posted by trickster View Post
    I wouldn't think so. After all, those would probably be considered trade secrets. Otherwise, I can look at your algorithm for pricing tickets, and write one for my site that does it the same way but at just $5 off from your price.
    I agree, thanks..