First, I am running a Athalon 1.6Ghz box with 512Mgz ddr ram. I have a cd writer and a regular cd rom both are listed in Mandrakes hardware list as compatable, (running Mandrake 8.1)

The problem is: When I try to install Linux on a 20gig partition on my hard drive, windows being on another and one that is blank, I have a 60gig HD, w/3 20gig partitions, Linux seems to have a real hard time seeing the cd drives, it finally will use one to install with but I only get so far (set security level) and it stalls, it does not freeze the screen, mouse still moves, but goes nowhere after that point. I have The same Mandrake 8.1 on another box with a cdrom and a writer and although it works okay, when installing Linux it seems to confuse the 2 drives when it wants to change from one cd to the next. ie. disc 1 to disc 2. I just put it into the one the disk is already in and it works fine.

Both boxes have a cd writer and a regular cdrom, both are hooked up on the secondary ide channel and both are configured as master/slave.

Is there a problem that Linux has with using 2 cd devices, could it be Mandrake 8.1, or am I missing something.

I also have my bios set to non plug and play os as the Mandrake installation guide recomends is there any other settings that need to be tweaked? Or ...

Is it XP? I really wouldn't mind dedicating this Win box to a Linux box and put XP on the box ( Athalon 700) that I have Linux on now, kind of jump into Linux with both feet, but alas I am still just a newbie and would like to resolve these issues before I leave the Windows I know for The Linux I am learning. I have figured out to get my internet connection working on Linux so that is not a big deal, I just don't want to send Windows down the road untill I get this cdrom thing solved.

So, you guys have helped me some already, coud you help me again?
mike