Thread: Fedora 7

Fedora 7

It's almost out! I cant wait ... been using RHEL4 for a while now as my primary OS on my desktop and wanted to switch to Fedora but anybody here got some issues during its beta realeses and if you can air it out would be nice...

Thanks
    Registered Linux User # 279330

Good Guru
    I generally don't have the time to play with betas, but I do plan to update my FC6 desktop to Fedora 7 a week or so after release.

I upgraded my home samba system to FC7. Works fine so far. You just have to remember to specify where to find the smbpasswd file in smb.conf as they have located it in the /var partition now instead of /etc.

Good Guru
    F7 has been running for some time now, rock solid. No complaints.

i must say it is sweet!!
    telnet mtrek.game-host.org 1701

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    I upgraded my home samba system to FC7. Works fine so far. You just have to remember to specify where to find the smbpasswd file in smb.conf as they have located it in the /var partition now instead of /etc.
    That kind of thing pisses me off. It drives me crazy when you spend hours looking for a configuration file that historically has been in one place, and all of a sudden is somewhere else. I can't see any technological/technical reason for this at all.

I can understand sometimes a development team may have a change in philosophy, but this kind of thing is BS.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

It's not about development philosophies...

Trickster,

Redhat is trying to distinguish themselves as a "Value Added Reseller," after getting killed in the "hobbie" market. Redhat did a lot for Linux and my red hat is off to them for years of hard work and dedication.

However, the real game in 'NIX is making money on the configurations and on the services provided, and gaining support from 'wares vendors (hard and soft), to make your platform unique -which tells you why "they do you like that."

They create binaries that do things "for you." They also move things around; it makes them "unique." In many ways, they're just plain old vanilla Linux with files moved to different places, and some binaries that supposedly make a Sys Admin's job easier (all of which helps them retain a certain degree of exclusivity when offering support services). They assume (and claim) this makes them a different "flavor" of Linux.

However, lest we forget, they have also created and contributed some seriously well engineered and most excellent system management 'ware, for which they deserve deep respect, in my opinion.

In many other versions of Linux, the files are where they always were. They'll continue to reside in those places until the development and steering committees agree to change them. At that time they'll make their case, elicit community support and agreement, and make the changes, subsequently publishing a new standard.

Most UNIX/Linux people do not buy all of that new Redhat jazz, man; it's really about Redhat finding a way to make more money for Redhat. And good for Redhat; they helped keep Linux alive for many years.

It is a bloodthirsty and competitive journey they embarked upon with RHEL (and its various strains) but they have made some headway; though it has slowed significantly in the past two years because everyone has come to realize that they are just like SUN, HP, IBM, etc. They are a VAR who has created their own (very Expensive) stuff, upon which to build a (again, very expensive) Service and Support network.

And hey, sometimes that's the way of the world. But, we don't have to buy it; we know better. Right?

Keep this in mind: Redhat has pledged to keep all primary configuration files in the top level /etc "directory." You can also look in /sbin and /usr/sbin for the binaries and pretty much everything else.