Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

What is X Window System?

Thread: What is X Window System?

What is X Window System?

Hi,

I have been reading a bit aboyt the X Window system adopted for Linux and came across this web page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System

It details the whole idea in a very technical language suited to the pros. But if I am to sum it up as to what exactly it means is, would be

the X Window System (commonly X11 or X) is a networking and display protocol which provides windowing on bitmap displays.

As per the exact first few lines on the page itself. But as far as I understand, it is nothing else but an API just like any other API tha allows programmer to develop softwares that can ultimately be able to talk to the operating system of any kind acting as an intermediary layer. Is this the right path I am on? Here I am moving away from the very concept of a protocol and api though which both are totally different thing as I understand.. Thanks....

Good Guru
    GNU/Linux is a multilayered gizmo.

1 - Kernel
    2 - Shell
    3 - X
    4 - DE/WM
    5 - Applications

All X/X.org do is allow the creation and management of windows. The drawing of them is handled by the DE/WM. Thats the short story, not meant to pass any class tests

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Schotty View Post
    GNU/Linux is a multilayered gizmo.

1 - Kernel
    2 - Shell
    3 - X
    4 - DE/WM
    5 - Applications

All X/X.org do is allow the creation and management of windows. The drawing of them is handled by the DE/WM. Thats the short story, not meant to pass any class tests
    Thanks a lot first of all.

Very polite and relevant explanation as far as I go. You are very right in making it clear to me that it is nothing but a layer that wraps the main os element ie kernel and sits below another layer called the window manager which allows the interaction between users and computer as the ultimate objective. This is the way I want to understand the whole idea the layer based/component based clarification, just like human body as a whole has many components such as the heart, lungs, kidney and brain, who have their jobs well defined. Tell me one more thing, as I have oftern come across people's questions regarding their inability to start the x-server on Linux. So as far as I understand now, it is by default already on when you are starting the pc. Right? And it is off for some reason you might not be able to see the windows, menus etc. Tell me more and thanks again for the kind help offered.....

Good Guru
    No, all that can be guaranteed is that the kernel and a shell are there. If there is a GUI of some sort, then X and a WM are running.

Basically, if there is a cursor and some windows (even fugly ones) X is there and running. If X cannot understand wtf is going on based off the xorg.conf file, then it quits and drops back to the shell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.