Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

SystemWorks 2003 is a virus!

Thread: SystemWorks 2003 is a virus!

SystemWorks 2003 is a virus!

This is an email that I sent to Symantec after my hellish day...

This may be long, and I apologize in advance...
    I have had an XP Pro system running for about a year, smooth as silk, and very fast. It also HAD Systemworks 2003 installed. After downloading an antivirus update two days ago, my system went nuts. My firewall reported alot of fishy activity. Every process on the system was all of the sudden trying to connect to "crl.verisign.com". And I mean, EVERY process. I could not even right click an icon without "Windows Explorer is trying to connect to crl.verisign.com". The problem with this is that it slowed the system to a crawl. Like I said, I couldn't even right click an icon to copy a file without this happening. I 'googled' the situation, and only found one reference to this happening (on some 'Unixwiz' site) and it said that it was harmless. If it was so harmless, why does it take me 15 seconds to bring up the right click menu? Every program trying to get this access experienced SEVERE sluggishness. I couldn't figure out for the life of me, why all of my programs feel that the internet is their home instead of my terminal... After hours of frustration, I decided that I must have some kind of virus that slipped by Norton and my spyware detecting software. I also decided that I would format the computer, along with my wife's, as hers was acting the same way, just not to the same degree... After formatting my system, all was good... UNTIL I put Systemworks 2003 back on it. The mess started all over again. This time, I had a theory as to why it was happening, and uninstalled Systemworks from both computers. Everything is now good to go. Like I said earlier, it has something to do with updates from the past two days. That is when it went to hell in a handbasket...

Ron Deagle
    vwgtiturbo@comcast.net

Thank you for your time.

I know some of you have XP on a second box, have you had this problem ever? I was so pissed off... If NVU was out (so I could get rid of Dreamweaver) I would kick Win to the curb, but I will not go back to editing text files for my webserver...
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 -939
    2GB Crucial DDR3200 Dual-Channel
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL
    3 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 160Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 300Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 120Gb 16Mb Cache

Re:SystemWorks 2003 is a virus!

Hahaha i love it, people getting stroppy with winders makes me laugh ;D (reminds me of me in my job)
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

I had the same problem with Norton 2003 and switched to McAfee. I had to uninstall that too. It ran as a java applet and would communicate with McAfee on various TCP ports. This made Zone Alarm contantly prompt to make some new McAfee applet gain access to the Internet. The system would somes hang with it.

I have now decided never to buy all-in-one software from either vendor again. Norton is decent Antivirus software, so I have purchased the most recent anti-virus only package. Zone Alarm is OK as a firewall.

If I ever have to upgrade Norton again, I'll spend more time on review sites to pick a reliable version, even if it may be slightly older. I was forced to upgrade to 2003 because support for my older product was ending.

I've had run in's with McAffee and Norton before.

Now I got wise, and have been running ZoneAlarm, and AVG Free Edition for quite a few years now, and have had no problems.

Good Guru
    I use nod32 and panda professionally. I used to worship Panda, but now its as bloated and system hungry as Symantec and McAfee. nod32 is still rather slim and simple, yet powerful. Kaspersky is a good choice too. Play with the freebie/trial versions and buy the one you like best. For me it was nod32

www.eset.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.