Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Mysql command line on network

Thread: Mysql command line on network

Mysql command line on network

Hi,
    In our database lab, there is server running windows 2000 and several clients connected to it (all win 2000), MySQL server is installed on the server, and MySQL Administrator on all clients. I can access the MySQL server through the network using MySQL Administrator, but I have no idea how should I connect to the MySQL server from command line.
    On my pc at home, it is very easy, just out the mysql in the PATH enviroment variable and its done.
    Can anyone help me how should I connect to the server from command line through a network?
    Thnaks in advance.
    This will be over soon, and then I can ...

You just need to supply some parameters. Easiest way is to create profile file .my.cnf if you use unix or you have to check whatever name for profile they use on PC. Something like this:

PHP Code:
    [client]
    host=mysql.myserver.net
    user
    =mydbusername
    password
    =mydbpassword

[mysql]
    database=mydatabase

[mysqldump]
    add-drop-table=TRUE 
    It has section [client] that is common for all mySQL programs and then separate section for each program.

You can supply all these parameters on command line too. In your case you probably need host. It's DNS name of the server or IP address. And may be you need to specify port too, if it uses some non standard port. But this I am not sure how. May be just to add something like :1234 to address.

And, BTW, if they don't have mySQL port firewalled, you can access it from any place on the Internet. At least my server provider has it open, and I can use mySQL from my home machine.

Quote Originally Posted by omidkamangar View Post
    Hi,
    In our database lab, there is server running windows 2000 and several clients connected to it (all win 2000), MySQL server is installed on the server, and MySQL Administrator on all clients. I can access the MySQL server through the network using MySQL Administrator, but I have no idea how should I connect to the MySQL server from command line.
    On my pc at home, it is very easy, just out the mysql in the PATH enviroment variable and its done.
    Can anyone help me how should I connect to the server from command line through a network?
    Thnaks in advance.
    why don't you install phpmyadmin?

Command line is more conviniet in a number of cases if you want peridically run some jobs like backup, for example. Also phpmyadmin can have troubles loading large databases.