Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Symbolic Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Symbolic Links

Question Symbolic Links

Hello,

Is it possible to create a symbolic link which points to different locations , e.g i have a directory, DATA, which has subdirectories, html, jsp and log.Now i want to create a symbolic link which points to the two subdirectories of DATA i.e. to html and log and not jsp.

Good Guru
    Yes. "man ln" will show you what options you can use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Thanks for the reply.When i login through ftp i cannot access the symbolic links, like if i have user1 folder, which has further three different symbolic links to different locations.Now, when user1 logins it can see the names of three symbolic links but when i click them they show me error.

Advisor
    If your users ftp login jails them to the ftp directory, you cant follow the symbolic links if they extend the jail.
    Don't worry Ma'am. We're university students, - We know what We're doing.
    'Ruiat coelum, fiat voluntas tua.'
    Datalogi - en livsstil; Intet liv, ingen stil.

Question

Then how can i use it?, i want my users to be jailed in their given home directories and want the symlinks to work also

Question

I have read to use the following, instead of symbolic links and is working fine:

mount --bind /var/ftp/music /home/userA/music

Now, can any one help me with this that is there any limitation to the number of mounts we can do, and any synchronization issue involved with it.

Advisor
    There is no synchronization issue involved, the files will only be located in one place, it's just the filedescriptor which is accessed from several places.

The mount count can be virtualy infinite, it's only when you're talking about loop mounted devices that you'd run into an upper limit set by your kernel.
    Don't worry Ma'am. We're university students, - We know what We're doing.
    'Ruiat coelum, fiat voluntas tua.'
    Datalogi - en livsstil; Intet liv, ingen stil.

thanks a lot for clearing

Question

I mounted:

mount --bind /var/ftp/music /home/userA/music

and then i tried to delete the /home/userA/music, i get the error "Could not remove" and when i tried to unmount it:

umount /home/userA/music

,/var/ftp/music is removed.Now, how can i do it?

Question

Hello,

I am facing another problem, when i reboot my system the link that i have created through "mount --bind" is finished.Why?.I don't want it to be finished.