Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Looking for a mathematical formula

Thread: Looking for a mathematical formula

Looking for a mathematical formula

Hi,

Lately I have been doing some numeracy tests in order to prepare myself for a test based interview as it seems to be the case with some of the firms hiring these days. Here is the question. I can not get my head around it. In fact I can get the answer doing it manually, but I think there a mathematical formula available to work this kind of problems out. Thanks a lot.

A town with a population of 2000 grows at a rate of 30% per annum. What will be its population in the next 4 years?

How about 2000 * (1.3 ^ 4) ?

or to state as a formula where p is initial population, g is annual % growth and y is number of years:

p * (((100 + g) / 100) ^ y)

However, I am probably over simplifying here as population will be growing continually throughout the year and at any point in the year, growth will be 30 % of that population per annum (hmm need "my ears are bleeding smiley) . If we turn it in to say, an interest on savings question where interest is calculated once a year, then I think the formula is valid.

Post RE: Looking for a mathematical formula

This problem looks alot like what I did in grade 10 maths class, at the time I was calculating compound interest! The formula I came up with is on the compund interest wiki it is as follows:

FV = PV ( 1+i )^n

where Fv is Future value (final population), Pv is initial population, i is the interest rate (or population rate) as x/100 (ie. 30/100 = .3) and n is the number of years

Incedently it is exactly the same as what Pam has said

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks guys, ya it is very much like calculating the compound interest....