1. Connect to the net and type "yum install gcc" in a terminal/command prompt window withouts quotes. This will install the open source compiler called the gcc. This can compile c/c++, java, php etc. Restart the pc.
2. Open up a text editor from the menu there are plenty such as Kwrite etc.
3. Save this code in it with a file name helloworld.c
#include < stdio.h>
4. Make sure you give the extension .c
5. Now go to any terminal/command prompt of your choice. Type "gcc -o helloworld helloworld.c" without quotes. Then execute the program by typing in the same terminal after the above command "./helloworld.c" without quotes.
Let me know if this works. Do not lose patience. I am also learning on my own at my own pace. Reply ASAP. Good luck and god bless.