Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Compiling and running an entire poject from command line/terminal on Linux

Thread: Compiling and running an entire poject from command line/terminal on Linux

Compiling and running an entire poject from command line/terminal on Linux

Hi,

I am Fedora Core 5 32+ bit os. I am a self taught guy and currently trying to get my head around the basics of C++ programming. I am at the moment using the command prompt only, to compile and run the small programs written in C++. Just a while ago I came across this site and something caught my attention, that was nothing else but some really basic interfaces consisting of menus, buttons etc written in C++. So I downloaded some of the code which was in zip format and unzipped the whole thing in a folder. Here is the web page.

http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/controls/menu/

I am still not used to any particular IDEs on Linux in order to be able to put all these files in one big project. So I was wondering if I keep them all in one folder as they are at the moment on my Linux machine and compile + run them from the command line/terminal itself without using any particular IDEs that work with Linux for example the Eclipse one. Thanks .....

Did you download source code for M$ Visual C++?
    If your answer is yes I should say that you are not able to compile it at all (except for the parts which are written in ISO C++).
    If you want to try Linux GUI programming with C++, try GTK or QT.
    Visual C++ and MFC only work on Windows.
    This will be over soon, and then I can ...

Those files look like (as omid said) windows specific code. It won't compile on *nix unless you have compatable libraries installed.
    You can use the curses library to do graphical stuff straight in a editor and run it from the console, here is a pdf about it. Or you could use an ide (integrated development environment), built for C/C++ and Linux like KDevelop or similar.

Another page is http://invisible-island.net/ncurses/ncurses-intro.html
    or you could go to the curses HOWTO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by mechdave View Post
    Those files look like (as omid said) windows specific code. It won't compile on *nix unless you have compatable libraries installed.
    You can use the curses library to do graphical stuff straight in a editor and run it from the console, here is a pdf about it. Or you could use an ide (integrated development environment), built for C/C++ and Linux like KDevelop or similar.

Another page is http://invisible-island.net/ncurses/ncurses-intro.html
    or you could go to the curses HOWTO

Thanks,

I agree that are likely to be Visual C++ files, but not sure, just downloaded for trying them out. Learning C++ on my own at the moment though. Was wondering if it is possible to compile a whole project with say 100+ files on Fedora Core 5 32+ bit Linux. Not much into programming, I am afraid guys. Thanks again...

I would recommend getting the basics of C++ down pat first (I am still there at beginner stage myself ), then I suppose researching either the win way or the unix way. I would recommend the unix way personally.
    Makefiles are used for managing large sets of files for compilation in Unix based environments (like kernel source, although I would not recommend looking too closely at it if you are starting out!). Try http://www.cplusplus.com for a good reference and http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/ for a tutorial or two
    Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I would recommend the "C++ how to program" by Deitel for anyone begining C++. It's a great book.
    This will be over soon, and then I can ...