Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Problems mounting winXP partition ...

Thread: Problems mounting winXP partition ...

Problems mounting winXP partition ...

I've read different threads on how to access different disk partitions from Linux, and tried to mount my winXP partition. I did an 'fdisk -l /dev/hda' first, and found out that winXP is on hda1, and is a NTFS/(HPTS?, is that the correct accronym?) file system. I know that Linux and NTFS partitions don't get along particularlly well, but all i want access to this partition for is for music files
    So I create a /dev/win dir, and then edit the /etc/fstab file tto contain the following:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/winhd auto user,defaults 0 0

Then I made the icon for easy mount/unmount'ing, I made sure to try both leaving the "Read Only" box first marked and then unmarked ... as root, I then opened up a console window and tried to first access the partition from there ... and I got the following error:

error: kernel does not support mounting of ntfs file system

I am running RedHat 7.3, and am clueless as to what to do ... do i need to rebuild the kernel possiblly to allow for such support? or is there some rpm package I need?

Thanks in advance (warning: automatic linux newbie qualifier )

Re: Problems mounting winXP partition ...

hello,
    compile your kernel and enable ntfs, which is expeirimental

NTFS support is very beta still. Some people have great success, some have complete dataloss. It's a crapshoot.

The only way to get it, is to recompile your kernel, and enable NTFS support.

Good Guru

Now thats for Read-Only support, right?