Thread: IT students not want to be programmers then what?

IT students not want to be programmers then what?

Hi,

I have been hearing a lot from an IT student friend of mine about the increasing hatred towards programming of any kind taught at the university and efforts to look for something else in the IT field itself as a career option. Can any one who is experienced enough tell me as why this is a shocking reality? Why universities are failing to encourage students to become professional programmers? If an IT student is not interested in being a programmer what else are the options? What is the most preferred option of all in terms of what you have seen in your professional career? Thanks.

IT != CS

Computer Science programs teach people how to be programmers. IT (IT/IS/MIS) teach people how to handle Information Technologies / Information Services. It is a different focus.

I am finishing my Masters in MIS. I've taken programmer courses, and at work I do some programming. However, during my firsst programming class, my professor said something that I consider true: "Never go head to head against a CS major for a programming position, because they will most likely win head on." Thing is, IT prepares you more for the business side of Information Systems: dealing with customers, maintaining systems, budgets, project management, etc.

I don't find it shocking that IT people don't want to be programmers. That's be like saying that food marketers don't want to be cooks.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Quote Originally Posted by trickster View Post
    IT != CS

Computer Science programs teach people how to be programmers. IT (IT/IS/MIS) teach people how to handle Information Technologies / Information Services. It is a different focus.

I am finishing my Masters in MIS. I've taken programmer courses, and at work I do some programming. However, during my firsst programming class, my professor said something that I consider true: "Never go head to head against a CS major for a programming position, because they will most likely win head on." Thing is, IT prepares you more for the business side of Information Systems: dealing with customers, maintaining systems, budgets, project management, etc.

I don't find it shocking that IT people don't want to be programmers. That's be like saying that food marketers don't want to be cooks.

Ineteresting ideas. Thanks mate..........