Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

No disk space

Thread: No disk space

Red face No disk space

Obviously I goofed badly. I installed Ubuntu on my 60 GB hard drive using dual installation as Windows XP alaready installed.
    WhenI try to login to Ubuntu, I get the error message, "No disk space."

As you see, I'm the ultimate nubie. Any suggestions as to uninstalling? My guess is that I did the partition wrong.

Thanks for you help.

hello,
    i would boot from a system rescue CD, check the partitioning scheme, which is probably the issue as you noted.
    telnet mtrek.game-host.org 1701

Smile No disk space

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Question Disk partition

I'm back where I started and ready to install Ubuntu. My problem is knowing how to allocate disk space for dual booting.

I am asked at this poit in the installation process to provide the following
    allocations:

/dev/hda1 ntfs
    unallocarted
    /dev/hda2 ext3
    /devb/hda3 extended
    /dev/hda5 linux-swap
    unallocated

Is there some knowledgeable soul who can provide some guidance by making some recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Good Guru
    For simplicity I would have the following partitioning scheme:

hda1 - windows xp
    hda2 - linux
    hda3 - linux swap

Keep it simple for now. Advanced partitioning schemes are mostly useful for servers to add security. Home users rarely gain from anything fancy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Partitions

Thanks, Schotty,

I have a Toshiba laptop with 60 GB hard drive and 512 RAM.
    I don't know how much space to allot the various partitions.

Being a brand new newbe, I sure want to keep it simple.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

hello,
    i would go with -
    /dev/hda1 25 GB - MS Windows XP - NTFS
    /dev/hda2 15 GB - Linux mian partition
    /dev/hda3 19 GB - Linux Home partition
    /dev/hda4 1 GB - swap

(i differ from schotty in liking a home partition)
    telnet mtrek.game-host.org 1701

Good Guru
    PBHarris, although that is a good setup, he may find some issues with that since he hasn't necessarily been accustomed to the Linux way yet. I find that using one big lump is easier. Normally I add a /boot, /var and /usr in, but thats for security issues and logging. I have been nailed good with assaults that have caused /var/log/ to blow up to insane sizes (over 60GB) and /usr can be locked up real tight for workstations. However for normal users and especially noobs, I just leave it to 2 linux paritions + any other OS (MacOS or Windows).

That said, again, it should be a good setup with that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Disk partition

I am learning how much I don't know!
    I started the installation. When I arrived at the partition screen, there were three choices. Erase the entire disk, Use the largest continuous space, and Manually partitiion.
    I chose to use the largest continuous space--wrong choice. Could not login due to lack of disk space.
    Now the partitions read as follows: /dev/hda 55.89 GB

/dev/hda1 ntfs 15.55 GB
    unallocated 35.14 GB
    /dev/hda2 ext3 2.07GB
    /devhda3 extended 133.35 MB
    /dev/hda5 linux-swap 101.95 MB
    unallocated 31.38 MB

I can't figure how to move the unallocated.

Any help greatly appreciated

Thumbs up

Muddler,
    lets see if the following works for you!
    Step1:
    /dev/hda1 ntfs 15.55 GB
    unallocated 35.14 GB
    /dev/hda2 ext3 2.07GB <--- Delete this
    /devhda3 extended 133.35 MB <--- Delete this
    /dev/hda5 linux-swap 101.95 MB <--- Delete this
    unallocated 31.38 MB

Step2:
    After you are done with the above steps, most probably you`ll have the following partition table:

/dev/hda1 ntfs 15.55 GB
    unallocated 37MB(approx)

Now you are ready to create partitions as follows:
    /swap 512MB(to 1GB as per your wish)
    /ext3 10 GB
    unallocated 26MB(or something: You can convert this space into a windows partition later on by using any software like Partition Magic.)

Your partition table should look like this:
    /dev/hda1 ntfs 15.55 GB
    /swap 512MB(to 1GB as per your wish)
    /ext3 10 GB
    unallocated 26MB

Step 3:
    You are ready to install Ubuntu in /ext3(20GB) partition as your root(/) partition.

Let me know if this works for you