Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tried Gentoo...

Tried Gentoo...

and I must say I hate it very much....

Re: Tried Gentoo...

why ?

For my life I could make my trackball work in it - even with config files imported from a working install of MDK / LFS

and emerge crapped out on me about 50% of the times I used it - I mean if that's the thing they "sell" it with, it should bloody well work.. right?

For my life I could make my trackball work in it - even with config files imported from a working install of MDK / LFS

and emerge crapped out on me about 50% of the times I used it - I mean if that's the thing they "sell" it with, it should bloody well work.. right?
    In what way did emerge "crap out"? It has worked flawlessly for several months for me. Did you read the docs on gentoo.org?

Has anyone else tried it here? Care to share opinions? Gentoo is my next target distro and I'd like to see some more opinions.

Check the "Praise" section on forums.gentoo.org

Mentor

you need to d/l each individual package?

it's not just 1 iso?

you need to d/l each individual package?

it's not just 1 iso?
    You can download a 16mb iso and boot with it. This is called a stage 1 install. Everything will be downloaded and compiled during installation.

You can also download a bigger iso (around 100mb) and do a stage 3 install. This way you get a usable system without any downloading or compilation.

Of course if you do a stage 3 install, you don't get full optimizations, etc.

I'm ghosting my setup now (I need to make sure win2k is OK for course work), and then time to Gentoo it while I am here on the OC12

I use Gentoo (that's my Avatar ;D) and emerge has never died on me, it's hiccuped tho. Never had any dependancy issues with it. And for the time I've had it running (~1 month) it's worked flawlessly. Like anything else X needed to be tweaked and tweaked to get it working properly all the time, also happens in different distros too. Kernel compiles were easy with menuconfig.

Only prob I still have is my USB mouse clicks being read as multiples most of the time. I'm not sure if this is a mouse, module, or kernel error though. I'm going to have to check it with Winblows to be sure.

I started with a stage 3 ISO ~100 megs. This took care of the bootstrap process. Other than that I had to do my own kernel, X, plus anything else I needed to get the OS running.