Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Help with Ubuntu 6.10

Thread: Help with Ubuntu 6.10

Hybrid View

Help with Ubuntu 6.10

Could Anyone Tell Me Why When I Try To Run The Ubuntu Cd The Splash Window Freezes.

You might try the server version with the dumbed down installer. Are you using a live CD? Also, try expert mode.
    arrogance breeds ignorance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Post Open source nightmares

I tried to install Kubuntu in my computer and the same thing happened, the splash screen freezed in the middle of booting the live CD, in the end I gave up, but it would be interesting to know the hardware you have to compare if there is some common pattern.

Shuttle XPC22SKG2, Ati Radeon 128RAM (Club3D), 1GB TwinMos RAM, Sata Samsung 80GB hardisk, AMD Sempron +2800 (socket AM2), Viewsonic720b monitor

I tried Ubuntu and it did boot but it froze on installing it, I was very let down by not being able to install Ubuntu as I always thought it is the easier distro out there, I managed to get hold of a DVD with the latest SLED edition, could not install, I tried to install latest Slackware, something else happened, I couldnt do, I tried Linux Mint, problems, problems, all frozen, I tried to install FreeBSD6.2 stable, and not surprisingly by now could not do, well it did but then booting X failed, I do not understand well why as my hardware althought all new it isnt exactly a bleeding edge.

In the end I have managed to install Knoppix but with some errors, and Frenzy1.0,which sometimes crashes if using X. Better than nothing, still thinking if I should have gone for Windows though, as a main computer you can't have something that crashes when it likes.

PS: Mandriva live CD 2007 worked great! It installed to the hard disk without a glitch I just did not go for it because it had no man pages and gcc. With no gcc you can't install anything as far as I know.

urpmi gcc and you're done!

Quote Originally Posted by llista View Post
    PS: Mandriva live CD 2007 worked great! It installed to the hard disk without a glitch I just did not go for it because it had no man pages and gcc. With no gcc you can't install anything as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by nounou View Post
    urpmi gcc and you're done!

I don't know for sure what urpmi is, glanced it on the net and it looks like some .rpm related tool, but my non Windows computer has no internet, and I have no modem.

well in that case you have to get the free dvd of mandriva it comes with all you need...
    the 2007.1 will be out in a few weeks I believe...so fully up-to-date (kernel 2.6.17 I think but all the rest is recent)!
    or you can use the rpms from the dvd to install gcc in the live mandriva already installed
    Last edited by nounou; 03-07-2007 at 10:41 AM. Reason: typo mistakes