Thread: Bad Video or Motherboard

Bad Video or Motherboard

So a few weeks ago I ordered a new asus motherboard (against my better judgement nothin but problems with them) and pci-express evga (love these cards) geforce 7950gt from newegg, i even bought a new powersupply like 600w i think, with pci-express compatibility and i put all these parts in, i booted up and i got my awardbios beep codes of 1 long, 2 short. suggestin bad vga adaptor, great i thought! i unplugged everything and plugged back in and the machine still powers up, motherboard gets green light, even the vga card fan turns and blows air, but i still get bad vga adaptor beeps and the card is seated properly.

so i RMA both parts because i cant swap motherboards or videocards to see which is bad, the pci-e slot or the video card, so newegg ships me back 2 completely new (supposedly, i say because it happens again) and i put them in bootup and get the bios beep codes again for bad vga slot. my pc worked FINE with the powersupply and my old motherboard and videocard, its only when i put in this new mobo and video card that i cant boot my machine and i get the bios beeps. motherboard gets power and the vga fan spins on with power, but i never get a cleanboot and get to bios, i always get 1 long 2 short beeps for bad vga,... so my question is which of these 2 parts can it be and what are my chances that i got 2 bad parts in a row? what could be the problem here?! after spending $400 on this im getting a little mad that i have no pc at the moment and my new parts dont work!
    01110100011010010111010001110100011010010110010101 110011

Can you try a different video card? Perhaps borrow one from a freind or something?
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Quote Originally Posted by trickster View Post
    Can you try a different video card? Perhaps borrow one from a freind or something?
    i dont have any that use pci-express, like i said i have no extra video cards to use. im guessing, that its probably a motherboard issue because ive been reading some of the newegg ratings that were bad for this motherboard and many say doa pci-e slot. soooooo im at work right now, right down the street from a tigerdirect retail outlet, and im going to just go there and try to find a new mobo (non-asus! ) and bring that home and try it out, then ill know for sure whether its a video card (which i doubt it is, because asus has given nothing but troubles everytime i use them! so why is this any different)

Good Guru
    Does the video card need a power plug? That may be the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Schotty View Post
    Does the video card need a power plug? That may be the problem.
    good call - that is what i was gonna say
    telnet mtrek.game-host.org 1701

ended up being the motherboard, just as i suspected, NEVER AGAIN ASUS! NEVER AGAIN! hehe

so i hooked myself up with a biostar and got it up n running

though i think this biostar has bad memory slots on the first 2 lol cause i got no dram detected so then i switched memory slots and everything works

ughhhhhhh i hate motherboards, i never get one that just works!@

Quote Originally Posted by BurntAsh View Post
    ended up being the motherboard, just as i suspected, NEVER AGAIN ASUS! NEVER AGAIN! hehe
    I thought we discussed this 3 years ago.

DFI FTW!!
    arrogance breeds ignorance

Screaming Electron, Full of BSD Goodness

Good Guru
    whilst on the mobo discussion, anyone else having good luck with Foxconn mobo's? I have been told to go cheaper over quality on a few machines and Foxconn was by far the cheapest, yet I cannot see a single problem after nearly a year and 4 systems running AMD based Foxconn ATX boards?

Normally MSI and Gigabyte have pleased me, Foxconn is getting onto my good list.

Never tried Foxconn, but makes sense to use since they do manufacture most of the parts of any motherboard. Gigabyte was a recent love I found late last year, but still need to try more to make sure I'm not dating Cybel. All in all, tyey use the same intricate Award BIOS as DFI does, offering everything for your overclocking needs. I might try one since DFI hasn't been keeping up on new AMD technology with their LanParty series.
    arrogance breeds ignorance

Screaming Electron, Full of BSD Goodness

Good Guru
    DFI's have worked well for me too, ableit a bit out of date for the era. Gigabyte and MSI have been my faves overall. Foxconn is turning out sofar pretty decent. No flaws yet and the price is right.