Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

S L A C K W A R E ? ? ?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S L A C K W A R E ? ? ?

S L A C K W A R E ? ? ?

when will the next version of slackware be released???????

Re: S L A C K W A R E ? ? ?

I wish I knew, but nobody wants to speculate - The current tree is looking quite impressive, I just hope they don't leave it too long to release otherwise it won't be so impressive.

Slackware 8 is by far the best distro I've used. Its the most stable, and the fastest I've used. And Slackware has a reputation for being behind the curve in the latest software, trading stability for cutting edge. However, Slackware 8 has some of the latest software in it. This distro just rocks as it is. Not much room for improvement.

Slackware 8 is by far the best distro I've used. Its the most stable, and the fastest I've used. And Slackware has a reputation for being behind the curve in the latest software, trading stability for cutting edge. However, Slackware 8 has some of the latest software in it. This distro just rocks as it is. Not much room for improvement.
    <troll>
    except for maybe a decent package management system....
    </troll>

<troll>
    except for maybe a decent package management system....
    </troll>
    Yeah, I was expecting that one. I've said it before - I've tried Debian and I didn't like it. It's slower, and you can hose up the whole system with apt-get real easy. I know, I did it. Maybe it was my fault, but I just don't have problems like that with Slackware.

/me notices that LFS is like slackware, but less automated...

If there is one thing people should know about slack is that it isn't a cutting edge distrobution. They test out the packages, integrate, play, put it in the current branch and if it's still looking good they release it with the next release 3-6 months away. Because of this, they have built a rock solid distrobution that other dev systems emulate.

Yeah, I was expecting that one. I've said it before - I've tried Debian and I didn't like it. It's slower, and you can hose up the whole system with apt-get real easy. I know, I did it. Maybe it was my fault, but I just don't have problems like that with Slackware.
    I don't use Debian either. Their apt system is too flaky for my tastes. I have yet to find a better distro than Red Hat for servers though. I welcome anybody to try to change my mind, but I warn you, it will be tough.

Well, as you all know, I am a die-hard Mandrake guy, but I do like everything that I have read about Slack. It seems to be a very nice, no-nonsense, low-fat distro. It is a temptation to me to give it a go...

Whatīs so important about a new release? If itīs newer software you want you can just visit linuxpackages.net. There you can find KDE 2.2.2, XFree86 4.2, Mozilla 0.9.8 and much more as slackpacks. Here you can find KDE 3.0 beta2 slackpacks.