Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Linux Mandrake 8.2 Setup Problems

Thread: Linux Mandrake 8.2 Setup Problems

Linux Mandrake 8.2 Setup Problems

My Sys Spec:-

Amd Duron 950
    Asus A7V 1.02
    256 Ram
    Hercules Prophet 4500

I installed Mandrake 8.2 to a seperate HD dual booting with Win XP on a seperate drive.

The problem I've got is when I boot to the logon screen the text is set way to the left of my screen, so I can't see the first 4-5 characters.

When I typed startx I got some errors thrown up which after a bit more reading found out about XFdrake, so I went about checking my Monitor and Graphics settings, I found my monitor was not set right so I set to Dell P991 and my Graphics card was set to Kyro series (which it is - Hercules Prophet 4500). So I tried to alter the resolution and depth and eventually I booted into X, but still I had the problem of the left side of the desktop being off the screen to the left (btw my Win XP is ok with the screen position).

I put this down to the resolution I had to select to make it go into X which was 640, so I went about getting some new driver for my card from http://www.powervr.com/Downloads.asp and installed them which I think went ok as well although thats the first time I had installed an RPM.

But my problems got worse, I logged in to X again and this time the graphics from the start were fuzzy/faint, so I went to the settings to try and change the resolution and it said I had to relogin for the settings to take effect. So I tried to logout but it just seem to hang, so eventually had to reset. When I went back in the screen was just the same as before, basically I can't seem to change my settings.

Maybe I installed the RPM wrong or it might not even be related to my Graphics card ?

I have tried searching for setup help with someone with similar spec to me but to no avail.

Btw, does it always take so long for Mandrake to boot ?

Thanks to anyone who can shed any light on my probs.

Thanks

Chris

Good Guru

Re: Linux Mandrake 8.2 Setup Problems

The problem I've got is when I boot to the logon screen the text is set way to the left of my screen, so I can't see the first 4-5 characters.
    Is the monitors alignment set? You may need to adjust that so the picture is centered.

When I typed startx I got some errors thrown up which after a bit more reading found out about XFdrake, so I went about checking my Monitor and Graphics settings, I found my monitor was not set right so I set to Dell P991 and my Graphics card was set to Kyro series (which it is - Hercules Prophet 4500). *So I tried to alter the resolution and depth and eventually I booted into X, but still I had the problem of the left side of the desktop being off the screen to the left (btw my Win XP is ok with the screen position).
    Again try to realign the monitor. This can be accomplished by using the monitor's dials/buttons for picture size and position

I put this down to the resolution I had to select to make it go into X which was 640, so I went about getting some new driver for my card from http://www.powervr.com/Downloads.asp and installed them which I think went ok as well although thats the first time I had installed an RPM.

But my problems got worse, I logged in to X again and this time the graphics from the start were fuzzy/faint, so I went to the settings to try and change the resolution and it said I had to relogin for the settings to take effect. *So I tried to logout but it just seem to hang, so eventually had to reset. *When I went back in the screen was just the same as before, basically I can't seem to change my settings.

Maybe I installed the RPM wrong or it might not even be related to my Graphics card ?

I have tried searching for setup help with someone with similar spec to me but to no avail.
    Post your '/etc/X11/XF86Config-4' file
    I want to look at it.

Btw, does it always take so long for Mandrake to boot ?
    Too many services are starting more than likely. You probably have some that can be disabled. That will speed bootup noticeably. There is a program to configure that. DrakConf I think does that. Its been a while since I used Mandrake (a good 2-3 months, and it was only for a few weeks).

Hi

Thanks for your quick reply.

As I said my Win XP screen settings are ok, I didn't bothering trying to alter as I didn't think that was the issue. Also would it not then mess my Win XP screen settings up when I go back in there ?

Thanks

hello,
    my moniter seemed to know what mode mode it was in, i don't know how - but it is an crappy old panasonic from 1996 - i would think your's would also know.

Play with the monitor buttons to get your screen right. It wont mess up Xp....

Then once you can see the desktop good, try running Mandrake Control Center---Hardware---XDisplay. It should pick up your card and give you options. I usally try 16 bit first as sometime 32 bit messes up in my experience....