Thread: Hi all...

Hi all...

Although I've been working working with computer for a very long time time and althought my linux experiance is limited I can find my way around fairly well but unlike must people with my skill level I am aware of how dangerous I am with root access in a system...

I normally have someone else to do the system admin stuff I can do my EE design and IO programing stuff ... But that somebody is out and I need to get a few programs loaded on system start up as if a user had loged on and entered the... and then wait...

The demo box in in the lab but the sales guys refuse to have a console in the field.... I know it can be do be done but I'm not sure how or where... I think .rc files have something to do with it could someone give me a hint where to look...

Thanks much

Rob

Good Guru
    edit ~/.bash_profile

That would be processed when bash starts right? But that doesn't happen until login and getty? passes control to the shell right...

I need to have the service running without a physical user loged on to the system...

I need to have a "headless box" running a process that is listening to the ethernet... from power up...
    Last edited by rleeson@bitrage.com; 02-20-2007 at 04:22 PM.

Associate

Adding a new service/daemon

It sounds like you need to add a new service to your run-level.

First you need to write a script to launch the service and put it in /etc/rc.d/init.d. The existing files can be used as models. Then you can add that script to your run-level: Gnome and KDE have service configuration tools, or you can use chkconfig.

Look at the man pages for init and chkconfig.

I must admit I've never done this: I'm relying on my trusty O'Reily manual!

Thanks that sounds about right... I don't do that stuff all the time an the details get foggy... I got out of doing that stuff about the time they started printing the O'Reily Guides... and by now my notebooks and crib sheets are lost or have been devoured by all sort of nasty critters..

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMcCann View Post
    It sounds like you need to add a new service to your run-level.

First you need to write a script to launch the service and put it in /etc/rc.d/init.d. The existing files can be used as models. Then you can add that script to your run-level: Gnome and KDE have service configuration tools, or you can use chkconfig.

Look at the man pages for init and chkconfig.

I must admit I've never done this: I'm relying on my trusty O'Reily manual!