Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Fedora Core 6 Installation Problems

Thread: Fedora Core 6 Installation Problems

Fedora Core 6 Installation Problems

I've been having problems installing FC6 on some Dell Optiplex desktop machines. Using kickstart or CDs the installation would hang when installing glibc-common package.

It would pass this phase if I installed using "linux noprobe" at the grub boot prompt. Then the symptoms were either a premature completion of the installation with a BSOD looking flashing red screen with scattered chracaters all over, one of which said "OK to restart system", or hanging at different packages. On rebooting the systems would either hang on doing the secondary grub loader or say that no OS could be found on the disk.

The systems only had 256MB of RAM. When I upgraded to 512MB or RAM everything was OK and the installations proceeded flawlessly. The systems installed correctly in FC5, but not with FC6 even though 256MB is supported as a minimum configuration for a graphical installation and 128MB for text mode.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

My sites:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Associate
    I don't know if this is relevant to the subject. But, I have a Intel Celeron 333MHz pc with 384MB(max) RAM. The only distro I am able to install is the fc2. Any version later than fc2 will not install. Unfortunate for me i guess i have to buy a new pc.

not sure - i have been able to install fc5 on some pretty low end machines - it has 128 MB ram
    telnet mtrek.game-host.org 1701

I was running FC 5 on a 500 Mhz Celeron with 256Mb of ram without too many problems,the biggest problem was the time it took to boot and the time it took to open windows in Gnome... Other than that it was fine, it ended up being my dialup, ftp, http and dhcp server on run level 3!! I now run FC 6 on a 1 Ghz Celeron with 512 Mb of ram, no problems installing or running that with Gnome!!

Good Guru
    Hmm..

Have you tried booting to the text mode installer? What about booting to runlevel 3 after install (IE, no X)?

Rock on

Well, I have had the same problem as Peter on my 433/128, and I think I will create a BIIIIG swap partition and have one more try to complete normal FC6 setup.
    I have been lucky to install and run text mode FC6 (having all optional rpms in anaconda disabled).
    Btw, my computer successfully runs FC5.

No luck with FC6

Unfortunately, allocating big swap partition didn't make it possible to install FC6.