Thread: FreeBSD6.2 install isos query

Question FreeBSD6.2 install isos query

I see in the official download website FreeBSD6.2-Stable there are 4 .isos to donwload:

"6.2-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso
    573.4 MB (FTP) (HTTP)
    6.2-RELEASE-i386-disc2.iso
    639.1 MB (FTP) (HTTP)
    6.2-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso
    24.3 MB (FTP) (HTTP)
    6.2-RELEASE-i386-docs.iso
    187.9 MB (FTP) (HTTP)"

Anyone can tell me if I need all of them? I want to set up FreeBSD with Fluxbox and packages, I do not understand why there is one .iso called bootlonly of 25MB and another .iso called docs of 190MB only, it would make sense to me to put all those together in the same .iso and not to waste a CD with something that small in size.

Good Guru
    just get discs 1 and 2.

Some people want doc cds and a recovery disc. Makes it simpler to use those since they are customized for just that (docs, boot disk).

Done!

i just did, thanks for saving a couple of disks, now I realise Fluxbox does not come in the discs, going to Fluxbox site to download it...

I would suggest to use fluxbox from the ports, and not to compile from hand. It will save a lot of trouble really. If you have an internet connection, you will be able to download automatically when installing from ports. Make sure you download the ports tree from sysinstall first though.
    arrogance breeds ignorance

Screaming Electron, Full of BSD Goodness

I don't know if this truth but I sysadmin I know told once that it is always much more secure to compile everything than to use pkg_add because that way you can choose the settings you need for your system not the settings someone else has decided top put for you.

Now, I do not have a production box so this probably not apply to me and I will be using the ports

Installing from the ports is quite crucial with FreeBSD. If you compile everything by hand, portupgrade is going to be useless to you, and end up with out of date insecure applications. Second, there are various things that have to be done to the source files when compiling, and sometimes can be more of a hassle then it's worth. You can set various setting when running make, and many of the popular ports (like apache and php), offer a curses-based menu to select your modules you want compiled in first. Any option that is offered in the application, can be compiled in the ports. Pkg_add is a little different from installing from the ports manually, but the same can be done (but quite a bit more work). It's really quite easy to install from the ports though:

# cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/fluxbox
    # make install clean
    arrogance breeds ignorance

Screaming Electron, Full of BSD Goodness