Thread: "Your account is configured to prevent you from using this workstation"

"Your account is configured to prevent you from using this workstation"

I have a few multi-user standalone machines in a closed area (e.g. no network/internet connection). My users get the error (quoted in the title of this thread) when I set the following flag to enabled:

Shutdown system immediately if unable to log security audits

Unfortunately, I MUST have this setting enabled. Microsoft does recognize this issue, and suggests I turn it to disabled by editing the proper registry key. This is not an option for me. Has anyone else had a problem like this and found an adequate work around?

Thanks!

Where do you log the system audits? The system itself, or is it configured to log to a server on the network, which does not exist? If it is a remote server, when there is no network, then that could be the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by canela View Post
    Where do you log the system audits? The system itself, or is it configured to log to a server on the network, which does not exist? If it is a remote server, when there is no network, then that could be the problem.
    They system is configured to log everything locally. In addition, I always double check when this occurs to ensure that the log space allocated is not full.

What are your security log size set at? Do you have a max log size with the option not to clear them automatically? try increasing the log file size or saving and clearing them on a regular basis.
    RickDev
    "Nobody knows what I do until I stop doing it."

Florida Web Design | Online Geek Hangout | Office Pranks and Humor

Quote Originally Posted by RickDev View Post
    What are your security log size set at? Do you have a max log size with the option not to clear them automatically? try increasing the log file size or saving and clearing them on a regular basis.
    While I do have a MAX size set, it is nowhere near that size. When it does reach that limit, it gives me a different error, so I don't believe that is the issue. Perhaps I'll just set the logs to overwrite themselves after a certain period of time just to make sure.

Thanks.

Ok, let us know if it works, or doesn't work
    RickDev
    "Nobody knows what I do until I stop doing it."

Florida Web Design | Online Geek Hangout | Office Pranks and Humor

what type of network set up do you have, is it just cables from each computer to a access router or a switch using home/small bussiness network set up with workgroups or are you using something else like (this could be a long shot) active directory, becuase if you are you might of set it so only certain users are set to use certain computers.

Quote Originally Posted by cro5point View Post
    what type of network set up do you have, is it just cables from each computer to a access router or a switch using home/small bussiness network set up with workgroups or are you using something else like (this could be a long shot) active directory, becuase if you are you might of set it so only certain users are set to use certain computers.
    Nah, this is just a simple P2P network with a couple of XP boxes, Linux boxes, and an Irix box. Still haven't discovered the reason for why this happened, but everything is working okay for now. I'll post back if it occurs again and I have any new info. to share.

Thanks.