Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Mint 2.1

Linux Mint 2.1

If you like Ubuntu try Linux Mint, it is 98% Ubuntu with added codecs for DVD playing and sound, also a program called Envy which sets up Nvidia graphics cards with a couple of clicks allowing 3d accelleration.

http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownl...oad-17252.html
    Linux Rocks

Yes I would like to try it out in case I need to recommend it for newbies to linux. But I can't get it to boot from my external dvd/cd drive.

I guess I have to wait till I get another internal drive.
    Microsoft aims to 'borg' Yahoo in $44.6 Billion deal
    "We are Microsoft. Resistance is futile"

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostDawg View Post
    Yes I would like to try it out in case I need to recommend it for newbies to linux. But I can't get it to boot from my external dvd/cd drive.

I guess I have to wait till I get another internal drive.
    It quite literally is Ubuntu + nonfree stuff like flash, java, nvidia, and multimedia codecs for mp3 and wmv/wma playback. This is great for noobs.

good distro

Quote Originally Posted by trackrat View Post
    If you like Ubuntu try Linux Mint, it is 98% Ubuntu with added codecs for DVD playing and sound, also a program called Envy which sets up Nvidia graphics cards with a couple of clicks allowing 3d accelleration.

http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownl...oad-17252.html

I have tried it, this is a good distro. Sometime when I have more time, I will explain why I say so.

Yesterday I installed Mint Linux on a friend's computer. He just bought a used computer and didn't have an OS, so I offered to put linux on it. He's fairly new to computers and I feel one of these types of distros would be best for starters.

Everything went fine and it picked up all his hardware, including an internal and external dvd/cd player. It also picked up and configured his DSL internet access.

Just some thoughts!
    Microsoft aims to 'borg' Yahoo in $44.6 Billion deal
    "We are Microsoft. Resistance is futile"

Quote Originally Posted by GhostDawg View Post
    Yesterday I installed Mint Linux on a friend's computer. He just bought a used computer and didn't have an OS, so I offered to put linux on it. He's fairly new to computers and I feel one of these types of distros would be best for starters.

Everything went fine and it picked up all his hardware, including an internal and external dvd/cd player. It also picked up and configured his DSL internet access.

Just some thoughts!
    I downloaded it but something is broke, It refuses to
    load... Im wondering if my download was bad, anyone have the md5sum on a working ISO for that Mint 2 ? I would hate to have to redownload, its either my iso or it burnt wrong.

Good Guru
    Code:
    [andrew@andrew-desktop-fedora Ubuntu]$ md5sum LinuxMint-2.0.iso 
    f56a393d8eb304a0647ec3b2fde8d207  LinuxMint-2.0.iso
    [andrew@andrew-desktop-fedora Ubuntu]$

This is what you should have. My installs I have used it for worked fine.

Linux Mint Iso

I finally figured it out, what a dummy, I burnt the file as a data file not a ISO, I now have the LinuxMint installed and am checking it out, first thing though I find no sound when I go to www.pogo.com and play a slot machine, I set sounds but still nothing.

Good Guru
    Are you running the latest version of flash or java? It may need a more recent version. I am not sure offhand.

Quote Originally Posted by Schotty View Post
    Are you running the latest version of flash or java? It may need a more recent version. I am not sure offhand.
    here is more information adwebb@Newgpa:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
    0 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
    HDA NVidia at 0xfeab8000 irq 5
    1 [AudioPCI ]: ENS1371 - Ensoniq AudioPCI
    Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1371 at 0xec00, irq 5
    dadwebb@Newgpa:~$
    dadwebb@Newgpa:~$ lspci |grep -i audio
    00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
    04:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97] (rev 02)
    I know that it should be possible to disable the onboard sound within the Bios
    but what I found there left me scratching my head, it didnt mention onboard Nvidia just some other one, then i mucked up the thing and had to quit out but I guess I could go back there and disable the mystery item. (it did refer to on board sound)
    However I was perplexed when I could not change the default settings within Linux Mint, it always went back to the onboard sound.
    Now, I am playing Amarok and listening to my CD sound from Josh Groban and that works so maybe its really only a sound issue within firefox.

Java 1.5.0_9-6 03 and shockwave 9.0 r31