Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Unable to connect to wired Network

Thread: Unable to connect to wired Network

Unable to connect to wired Network

Hello,

Recently, I obtained a new Windows XP laptop, and decided to add a wireless access point (D-Link DWL-G700ap) to my wired network.

I'm using an Ubuntu Edgy box as a NAT router. Two NICs in the machine: 1 to the cable modem, the other to a switch. I've two other machines wired to the network, both running Windows 2000 Professional.

The one weird thing I guess I've done is that I am not using DHCP. Each computer has a static IP set. Perhaps that's what's making this so difficult.

It was my understanding that all I would need to do is connect the access point to the switch--apparently I was wrong, as I cannot get the laptop to work. There's no problem with the connection between the laptop and the access point, but I am unable to connect to the network. I've attempted turning on and off the DHCP in the access point, configuring the laptop for DHCP or Static IP, but nothing seems to work. I've also turned off encryption and security in the access point in case that was the issue.

If I plug the laptop into a spare port in the switch, connectivity is not an issue. I can browse the internet and my network with ease.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look, or any suggestions of anything to try (other than converting my network to DHCP)? I'm running out of ideas, and I'm really not sure where to start from.

When you plugged the WAP into the switch, did you get a link light on both ends? If not, it could be a cable problem, maybe you need a cross-over type.

Is the WAP giving out IP addresses within th erange of your home subnet? Does the DHCP range overlap with any devices that have a static IP address?

The other thing with DHCP is that you also have to correctly define the DNS server and gateway that the DHCP clients should use. It usually defaults to the WAP itself. You may want to change that to the IP address of the Linux NAT box.

You could also turn off DHCP on the WAP and make the Linux box do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ohno View Post
    When you plugged the WAP into the switch, did you get a link light on both ends? If not, it could be a cable problem, maybe you need a cross-over type.
    Of course, it's always the simplest things. It appears there was a bad port in my switch. Thanks a bunch!