Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Removing Fedora and installing Windows XP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Fedora and installing Windows XP

Removing Fedora and installing Windows XP

Hi,

I want to remove Fedora core 5 32 bit os on my pc and install Win XP. Can any one help me please as when I insert the Win XP cd and boot the pc with it there comes a message on the screen like "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration" then the computer hangs for a long time nothing happens. Any idea why it happens? The cd is already working fine and not damanged or anything. The pc has only one hard disk and only Fedora on it with no partition. Thanks.

I'm not sure this is a Fedora issue, as you are able to boot to the Windows cd without problem. Once you booted off it, that's Micrososft's code running.

You could boot off a DOS floppy or boot cd and remove all your partitions, effectively removing Fedora before installing Windows. However, I am not sure that would solve your problem.

You can get a DOS floppy image from here.

How do you know that the cd is a good one?
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

To remove fedora and install winxp

Hi,
    Use the win2000 cd that will work, delete the partitions. And install the winxp..
    plse let me know it worked or not.

bye
    Sandro

Windows XP does not like ext3 partitions with dir_index enabled. I would recommend using something like Darin' boot and nuke to remove the partitions or gparted - simply because XP is retarded in this regard.
    Why are you not using Fedora Core?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ah! I did not know that one. Good thing to know!
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Cool try 98 cd

hi buddy
    i also suffer this problem last few day. u will boot ur pc with 98 cd & run
    fdisk . then remove partation or install xp.. u also remove a partation with redhat cd
    but it is some problem u will try with windows 98 cd.

Thanks a lot guys. Here is what I did:

booted up from Fedora Installation DVD and executed this at boot: prompt

linux rescue
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=521 count=1
    The aboce two commands at the prompt helped me install windows xp without a fuss. I found them somewhere on the net. One more thing in case you have a SATA hard disk, replace hda with sda. This command will *wipe* your Harddisk and Windows Installation CD will work. I appreciate the replies to my query earlier. Cheers.

I'm also having this problem after installing FC6 (I liked it, but the household outvoted me in favour of XP "because it's what we know" - fools!). And going back to XP was just resulting in the black screen syndrome. I will try tech291083's solution tonight, question though:

after I type in the prompt you have given, what should I expect to see to know that it has worked? When will I know to reboot and insert the xp boot CD?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Windows XP is running again!

Brill... this is the only forum I've found with a robust working solution. Well done freeopen.org!

Associate

for removing linux

using 98 cd has worked.