Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Linux/XP Network&DSL problems - Need asst

Thread: Linux/XP Network&DSL problems - Need asst

Talking Linux/XP Network&DSL problems - Need asst

Hi All,

Long ago, really long ago, I used Debian for a dial up connection to the Inet. I have Unbutu installed on a spare machine trying to network it to XP Pro Media that has DSL installed. I want to use the DSL on Linux too. I think I may have to do this with a router. As far as I Can tell I have Linux network protocols set properly. Unbutu as a window in Linux for just about everything. It's about the closest thing to ms windows as Linux may come, I think.

I have been unable to get XP Pro to recognize my Linux box and vice vers. Can anyone tell if there is a protocol in XP Pro networking for linux. I have TCPIP and IPX Netbios installed on a windows client setting. I am using 10/100 Nics through a hub connected to my DSL. My DSL uses a static Ip address and works okay to XPPro using the HUB. Additionally, I cannot get Linux to recognize the shared Internet connection for XP Pro. I know enough about Linux to be dangerous with it, but have a good handle on XP protocol. I was trying to network Linux to the Windows box using TCPIP. I have my XP files shared but Linux tells me it cannot determine the permissions on c: (which is my windows box). I am still tinkering but if anyone reading this can throw out any hints that may assist me, you can bet they will be appreciated. I am uncertain whether Linux will operate with this DSL connection I have from Cavalier Telephone.

debugger Knows enought about Linux to foul up the works.

hello,
    okay - as i understand your post you wish to have your MS Windows XP box be a gateway for the Linux box. I thought MS Windows had some thing like internet connection sharing, while i have no MS Windows here i can not really say how to have Linux see the MS Windows box as a gateway...

i think this will help ->
    http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/ics-install-sxp.asp i would use the Macintosh instructions and modify for Linux.

but of course i would use Linux as the gateway for all of them
    telnet mtrek.game-host.org 1701

Smile I'm a no go for Unbuntu/xp pro - trying another linux vers.

Well, I guess I will shelve Unbutu Linux. I connected my dsl direct to Unbutu, set the network Ip address and gateway for the DSL connection, loaded up Samba for the communications. What happened ----Nothing. Unbutu apparently is not capable of handling the connection from my DSL modem. Think I will try another version of Linux. I know Debian, some, years ago did okay with a dial-up connection. I wonder whether Debian will accept my DSL connect. Maybe more on this later.

Debugger -- said it.

hello,
    DSL uses PPPoE or DHCP as far as I am aware - this is supported quite nicely by ubuntu
    telnet mtrek.game-host.org 1701

Cool Found problem but not resolution

Found out the problem with PPP0E is it will not recognize my static IP connection to DSL. But I don't know what to use with the Static IP to get my DSL to recognize it.

Debugger

PS: Last time I used Linux, there was not DSL, only dial-up. Now DSL is all new for configuration purposes for my static IP address.

Learning as I go

Okay, this is it. The problem I have can be resolved using a router. The hub could not do the job, or i could not configure it correctly. Either way, router is the solution to my problem. I found the answer on the Internet about Static Ip addresses and linux. Router Router Router. He he he.

The debugger said it loud.