Thread: RFC: Free speech vs. Stalinistic censorship

Hybrid View

RFC: Free speech vs. Stalinistic censorship

I'm getting increasingly annoyed with the fact that the forum defaults to marking so-called swear words with stars. This is pointless censorship which instead of encouraging civil behaviour merely encourages mean opinions to be expressed in a type of baby language these Stalinistic people are comfortable with.

If we stand for freedom we should fully embrace freedom of speech. One solution would be to optionally allow this retarded form of censorship to be enabled in the user profile. I think most forum software these days have code to do this in some way or form - a solution I'm sure would work for most people. Though it lacks the beneficial educational value of skepticism and critical thinking, I personally would like, so this kind of baby speak can be entirely removed from the face of the world.

Likewise if this is decided upon, the "thought police" clause should naturally be removedfrom the Forum Guidelines.
    Why are you not using Fedora Core?

My blog

Only three words were in the list, and may have been part of the default installation, or possibly were imported.

I'll wait and see what the membership decides.

Good Guru
    I don't really care about swear words. Unless it's directed at someone specifically, we are not high schoolers. Freedom of speech is great.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Compunuts View Post
    I don't really care about swear words. Unless it's directed at someone specifically, we are not high schoolers. Freedom of speech is great.
    I bleieve that as well. Words are words. Actions should be what we moderate and work on foging. If I call someone an a$$hole, what difference would it be if I used the word anus, or scheisstkopf? All the same to me.

What we need to not deal with lightly is the fools that want to pick fights and provoke multiple members to lose it. They are obvious and just need to be dealt with smoothly and swiftly.

Mentor
    i think this might just be a first, i have to agree with lovechild, there should be some sort of profanity option in the user profile.

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by boblucci View Post
    i think this might just be a first, i have to agree with lovechild, there should be some sort of profanity option in the user profile.
    Yeah, I think hell froze over or something. Out of the last 10 arguments or whatnot I have agreed with him at least 8 times. I remember the days when that would be zero.... LC is getting better in his old age ;D