Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Piracy

Quote Originally Posted by Compunuts View Post
    Link??
    http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36473

It's not a US article but I think it shows that we are getting there, agree to it or not. I agree with the whole "if I teach you how to use the gun" theory but look at other industries. but others http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2479149.stm have done that exact thing.

It's more of being proactive not to risk getting in trouble when you don't have the $$ to defend yourself against that type of lawsuit.
    RickDev
    "Nobody knows what I do until I stop doing it."

Florida Web Design | Online Geek Hangout | Office Pranks and Humor

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by RickDev View Post
    http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36473

It's not a US article but I think it shows that we are getting there, agree to it or not.
    Let's analyze this case. He run a database of mp3 files which is much more similar to running Kazzar network. Almost all of MP3s are illegal to distribute unless you have the license for it. The difference is not only that we are just telling people where to get certain thing (legal or otherwise) via links. We DO NOT actually run site to link them. Also, if you actually read user agreement on this site it specifically said that users posts belongs to users and is not the representative of the site in itself. It IS NOT exact the same thing. We are comparing apple to oranges here. How smart you need to be to see that?? I believe judges are a lot more smarter than that.

It's more of being proactive not to risk getting in trouble when you don't have the $$ to defend yourself against that type of lawsuit.
    And that's why we need organizations like EFF which will stand up for our rights. (BTW, I'm a member of EFF). Shouldn't you worry about your rights? Then you should support ORGs like EFF.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by trickster View Post
    1. None of us are lawyers. None of us know all the implications of it, and it is better to err on the side of caution.
    YOu don't need to be a lawer to know your rights.

Are you saying just bend over and take it whatever they do??

2. More importantly, copyright-violated software goes against the spirit of the forum (nonwitshtanding the latest Windows forum merge.)
    I"m NOT saying it's morally okay to use copyrighted software (that's why I only have Linux boxes at home). It's just the bad moderation of freedom of expression which our constitution guarrantied.

No IT BS !!

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Schotty View Post
    even an avatar pic with the code to DeCSS is a violation
    It constitute as hosting dude. What's the difference with the code on avatar, gif or html form? The same. But giving people the link to actually hosting IS NOT especially forum environment. Yahoo and Google have those links everywhere. They even have groups that focus on hackings and cracking (which both are illegal) and they don't seem to concern at all unless someone actually complain it. Then, you can remove it if you want.

All I'm saying is it's bad moderation to tell people what to do, what to post and stuff unless it effect the community. Freedom of expression should be preserved for all.

No IT BS !!

I"m NOT saying it's morally okay to use copyrighted software (that's why I only have Linux boxes at home). It's just the bad moderation of freedom of expression which our constitution guarrantied.
    My constitutional right to free speech allows me to take artistic pictures of of men in love with horses and with political propaganda on their rear end. However, it goes against the best interest of this forum, as well as the spirit of it.
    I'm not saying bow down to lawyers. I'm saying learn to pick your battles.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Quote Originally Posted by trickster View Post
    My constitutional right to free speech....
    I guess that's why slander can be held as a federal offense......

Anyways....

If you think the forums are not liable, you are wrong. Even just giving someone the information on pirating holds the entire board in jeopardy. If you remember the 1st edition of the Anarchist's Handbook, you might even remember the reason it was banned. Really, do our rights, and the law really make a difference? No. it depends on the lawyer, and how many statutes they find that cancel out the primary offense. Yes, we could defend ourselves, but without a clause like "You have to remember this is illigal though", when providing such information. In any other circumstance, the truth is, some large company would probably try to push a conspriacy charge on such.

Oh well, I didn't mean to post anything serious in here, so just disregard anything I just said if you want.

P.S. Arrrrrrr
    arrogance breeds ignorance

Screaming Electron, Full of BSD Goodness

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel_Killer View Post
    I guess that's why slander can be held as a federal offense......
    No, the speech is free. You are just held accountable for your actions. Thats something that people generally miss, that does apply to some of the arguments being tossed around.

hello the law

The rules are the rules they must be obeyed

They Apply to every one