Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Journaled File Systems

Thread: Journaled File Systems

Mentor

Journaled File Systems

ext3, ReiserFS, JFS

Those seem to be the main ones now. Question is, which one is right for "me"?
    Is one better with Debian and another works well with RH or Slack?
    I have been using Debian based Distros and will continue doing that, but I am offered choices when installing. Which should I use? Why so many choices?
    Yes, I have used different ones, but I don't know if I have ever seen any difference.

Have you been to http://linuxtracker.org ? Stop in and DL something new for the New Year.

Reiser seems to be the way to go these days... it seems to load quicker, it can handle larger partitions and its fairly stable.

Plus most of the distro's are defaulting to it. (at least the one's I've installed lately)

Mentor

Reiser

Use Reiser with LVM? Or is LVM another file system?

LVM isn't a file system.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/whatisvolman.html

the small systems link on that page may help you understand it a little more.

I can't say much about it myself, as I haven't messed with it yet.

LVM is like a poor mans raid. its a way to take multiple hard drive and make them into one partition without any of the drive access speed advantages that raid has. on my server I use it with a 5g and a 10g drive in LVM so my / partition is on a 15 g partition.

As for format I use reiser for my / and home. I also make a 20 gig fat32 partition mounted on /storage to swap files between linux and windows.

Benchmarking Filesystems

happened upon this, thought I'd share

http://linuxgazette.net/122/TWDT.html#piszcz

Mentor

File systems

Great replys, and you link zenmatt for that Linuxgazette article was nifty, too much info for Old Fatal but sure told us what is what. Or did it?
    Have any of you changed your "JFS" after reading that article? Why/whynot.

Me thinks this is very important for power users but not so much for SOHO kinda computing?