Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is Linux even worth it on my system?

is Linux even worth it on my system?

hello all,
    I am beginning to think any Linux install on my computer is pointless given its specs, and am starting to give up on it.

to be honest I think Windows is a great operating system, I would NEVER switch from it permanently. I have read and heard rave reviews about Linux, but have tried it and fail to see what all of the hype is about. I think its great that its open source, I code C with Win32 and don't release anything other than open source, but that is about the only "benefit" I see in using it. I think my lack of interest in Linux is partially because of my love of WinXP, and my lack of experience with Linux (Windows seems so much better in so many ways when all you have seen of Linux is its command line ).

anyways enough about that, I am currently learning PHP, MySQL and Apache, and I don't really want to install these on Windows. I could, but I do know that these 3 programs are usually associated with webservers which are usually running some Linux variant (installing them on Windows would just be wrong IMO, I'd be lacking out of some good experience). basically I want to build and test my website on my own PC before I put it up on my host.

anyways what makes me think Linux is a bad match for my system is its specs. it is an 800MHz AMD Duron, with 64MB RAM. I haven't seen a linux distro with a minimum system requirement of under 32MB RAM (note this is a MINIMUM, meaning it will barely run at this speed). for example I tried Debian linux today, it has a 32MB RAM minimum, and Gnome just keeps crashing. I can't even use it, seriously, it is that bad.

I am just wondering if anyone knows of any paticular Linux distributions that will run at a reasonable speed given my system specs? or is it a hopeless cause, and should I just stick with Windows, at least until I get a better computer?

any help here would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

EDIT: don't ask why this was a double post O_o. must have hit post twice, or something happened when I edited it, sorry mods.
    Last edited by s134k; 04-29-2006 at 04:42 AM.

Quite frankly I don't see how you're running Windows XP on an 800MHz AMD Duron with 64MB RAM. Either way you probably don't know this because you lack GNU/Linux experience, but GNOME, and KDE are heavyweight window/desktop managers much the same as the Microsoft Windows XP window manager. Hence you need nearly as much RAM.

If you're looking to get speed out of a system with a lack of RAM then you need to use a lightweight window manager. Some good examples would be Fluxbox, Blackbox, and IceWM. Also since you're so in love with Windows then I suggest using IceWM as it will be the closet to your windows feel.

My choice would be with Fluxbox or Blackbox however because IMO I believe they are faster. You'll have to learn how to use them though. They are nothing like traditional Windows.

Debian is a fine distribution just switch the window manager.
    Last edited by SkyNet; 04-29-2006 at 05:33 AM.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

Windows XP Pro runs fine at an alright speed on it. its reasonable, not too slow. I don't do a whole lot of multitasking, I'm used to using it with patience.

I've got the same NIC card as you, BTW.

so do you think I should try KDE? I've still got Debian installed. I don't think its gonna make a difference, but I'll can try it.

Good Guru
    Yeah, I agree with using Icewm. Just "apt-get install icewm" would do.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by s134k
    Windows XP Pro runs fine at an alright speed on it. its reasonable, not too slow.
    Well, Windows GUI is integreated with its OS where else Linux has DEs (Desktop Environments) on top of Linux. This machine I'm typing on is Athlon 800 with 256 MB on it. It runs Gnome fine.
    so do you think I should try KDE?
    Absolutely NOT. KDE is more resource hog than Gnome ever was.

You should try IceWM.

I don't think its gonna make a difference, but I'll can try it.
    If you really want to see the difference, get some more RAM. YOur CPU is okay but RAM is TOO LOW.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Compunuts is right, KDE is just as much a resource hog as Gnome. It is highly recommended that you try IceWM or one of the other window managers that I mentioned.

My signature is for the most part correct, however I'm no lnnger using the Maxtor 53073H6 29GiB 7200rpm ATA/100 drive. I'll update when I get around to it. Also it isn't my only machine or my most powerful, but it's the one I use the most.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

Check out this link:

http://users.netwit.net.au/~pursang/lofat.html

It provides nice details for building an excellent, speedy Linux workstation using IceWM and other light weight proggies.
    TANSTAAFL

Yup. Older systems will get a breath of fresh air with an installation of Linux, you will be surprised just how useful they can become. I recommend that you either use KDE Light or ICEWM. Both of these are light (meaning that they dont use a lot of memory and will be nice and responsive for your machine) and they both have nice features.

I used to run Fedora Core 4 with ICEWM on a Celeron 433mhz and 64MB RAM, and it ran just fine. If that does not work for you, try using something like Damn Small Linux, which runs on a Pentium 233 with 64mb RAM machine that I have.
    My Website: http://ttgale.com
    My Website Uptime: http://img.uptimeprj.com/holastickbo...dee9bae2e2.png
    My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

I have a few sticks of ram lying around which I wouldn't might donating to a prospective Linux user - they might as well aid someone instead of suffering silently on my shelf.
    Why are you not using Fedora Core?

My blog

Good Guru
    As aforementioned, go with a different window manager, such as ICEwm or Fluxbox or Waimea. Much better on the cpu and ram.