Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

System Restore Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System Restore Question

Hybrid View

Hi, i'm new here.

I really need a question answered. 2-3 weeks ago something went wrong with my registry that i couldn't fix so i used System Restore and it worked OK. Its just a friend said to me it expires after 90 days. I'm using Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2

Does he mean that after 90 days my restore i am using will cease to function and i'll be back with the messed up registry or does he mean something else, like the system restore point will be deleted off the calendar but i'll still be using that restore.

Please Help! I don't want to be screwed in 2 months time!

Originally posted by gaming_legend2003@Nov 20 2006, 02:41 PM
    Hi, i'm new here.

I really need a question answered. 2-3 weeks ago something went wrong with my registry that i couldn't fix so i used System Restore and it worked OK. Its just a friend said to me it expires after 90 days. I'm using Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2

Does he mean that after 90 days my restore i am using will cease to function and i'll be back with the messed up registry or does he mean something else, like the system restore point will be deleted off the calendar but i'll still be using that restore.

Please Help! I don't want to be screwed in 2 months time!
    [snapback]6784[/snapback]
    can you please refer to which type of system restore you're referring to? the kind from the original windoze cd or.... the kind where you go to START-> PROGRAMS-> ACCESORIES->SYSTEM RESTORE. and then go to a previous point in time?

only the software will uninstall not your registry!!! youre registry will be fine ....

The kind from START->PROGRAMS->ACCESSORIES->SYSTEM RESTORE.

So after 90 days the program becomes useless? That bites. But all my settings will still remain as they were when i did the system restore? If so thats ok then (i guess). System Restore is a handy tool.

Just so i understand basically after 90 days i will still be using the"system restore" but i will not be able to make new restorations or undo old ones etc. Also is it then possible to obtain a "full" system restore program which doesn't expire after 90 days or not, because when my time is up i'd want some protection :lol:

Originally posted by gaming_legend2003@Nov 22 2006, 01:38 PM
    The kind from START->PROGRAMS->ACCESSORIES->SYSTEM RESTORE.

So after 90 days the program becomes useless? That bites. But all my settings will still remain as they were when i did the system restore? If so thats ok then (i guess). System Restore is a handy tool.

Just so i understand basically after 90 days i will still be using the"system restore" but i will not be able to make new restorations or undo old ones etc. Also is it then possible to obtain a "full" system restore program which doesn't expire after 90 days or not, because when my time is up i'd want some protection :lol:
    [snapback]6792[/snapback]

what kind of computer do you have? i.e. AlienWare

Um...i don't know :lol:
    It's a TOSHIBA Laptop, Model Name Satellite A110-162. Thats all i know about it. I imagine a laptop is different from a home PC in the way it acts.

Originally posted by gaming_legend2003@Nov 22 2006, 04:33 PM
    Um...i don't know* :lol:
    It's a TOSHIBA Laptop, Model Name Satellite A110-162. Thats all i know about it. I imagine a laptop is different from a home PC in the way it acts.
    [snapback]6794[/snapback]

did it come with a restore disk? if it didnt then your going to then your probably going to need to pay $197+ for windows XP to get the actual full system restore if your laptop didnt come with one.

Uh........No it didn't. Unless you mean something in the box that says "Product Recovery" on it. So it seems it is going to uninstall then. But it's a core program ARGH! (please confirm lol)

Originally posted by gaming_legend2003+Nov 20 2006, 02:41 PM-->
    Does he mean that after 90 days my restore i am using will cease to function and i'll be back with the messed up registry or does he mean something else, like the system restore point will be deleted off the calendar but i'll still be using that restore.[/b]
    I think you are misunderstanding something here. No, after 90 days time, you will not be back with your messed up registry.

<!--QuoteBegin-gaming_legend2003
    @Nov 22 2006, 01:38 PM
    Just so i understand basically after 90 days i will still be using the"system restore" but i will not be able to make new restorations or undo old ones etc. Also is it then possible to obtain a "full" system restore program which doesn&#39;t expire after 90 days or not, because when my time is up i&#39;d want some protection
    No, after 90 days time, the System Restore will still be working. You will still be able to make new restorations and undo old one etc.

The restoration points will be deleted off the calender after 90 days, but as long as you have already successfully restored to your desired settings, that&#39;s fine. During the next 90 days, chances are your PC will make several more restore points, these ones include your desired settings (by default, your machine makes system restore points automatically). So the older ones really don&#39;t matter as much, and they are taking up a large part of your available HDD space.

QUOTE(gaming_legend2003 @ Nov 20 2006, 02:41 PM)
    Does he mean that after 90 days my restore i am using will cease to function and i&#39;ll be back with the messed up registry or does he mean something else, like the system restore point will be deleted off the calendar but i&#39;ll still be using that restore.

I think you are misunderstanding something here. No, after 90 days time, you will not be back with your messed up registry.

QUOTE(gaming_legend2003 @ Nov 22 2006, 01:38 PM)
    Just so i understand basically after 90 days i will still be using the"system restore" but i will not be able to make new restorations or undo old ones etc. Also is it then possible to obtain a "full" system restore program which doesn&#39;t expire after 90 days or not, because when my time is up i&#39;d want some protection

No, after 90 days time, the System Restore will still be working. You will still be able to make new restorations and undo old one etc.

The restoration points will be deleted off the calender after 90 days, but as long as you have already successfully restored to your desired settings, that&#39;s fine. During the next 90 days, chances are your PC will make several more restore points, these ones include your desired settings (by default, your machine makes system restore points automatically). So the older ones really don&#39;t matter as much, and they are taking up a large part of your available HDD space.
    Thank you :P My mate obviously doesn&#39;t have a clue. I asked him if exactly what you said what was he meant and he said no (before i created the topic). Man what an idiot i feel :lol:

At last i can get on with my other problem, ridding myself of some browser hijacker :angry: lol

HijackThis is a very useful program that might help you with the Browser hijacker.