Thread: Back from the friggin dead

Back from the friggin dead

Whats up my *nix brothers!

Where..the..heck...have...I...been!?

I thought you would never ask!! I have been in that big armpit of a city, New York! Here is the short story for the impatient:

1) Contracted to build a custom human resources application to track empoloyees for an international company. Began work in mid August.

2) Asanine time schedule requested. Worked, on average, 16 hours a day for 3 and a half months.

3) Presented working release of final product to client. Denied access to building next day.

4) Found out the client hadn't been paying any of my time since I started. Now they are trying to sue for the source code.

And that my friends is a perfectly good waste of 3 and a half months.

More fun that watching re-runs of Fatal's colostomy!
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

What an amazing screw job. Hope you weren't working out of your own pocket.
    Everything I learn gives me another way to say \"OOPS!\" :oops:

No, I wasn't working out of my own pocket, but the money that the job was going to bring in was going to be a major part of the justification for my yearly salary (which isn't that big by comparison). Now with out that money, I have the paranoid feeling that my employers are looking at me and wondering, why are we keeping him around again?

Not a very good outfit your working for if they go that route. Have they seen your code, etc.. If so, I would think they would have more brains than to blame it on you and not on their own stupidity for the contract in the first place. :?:

Mentor

That SUX

jro Thank God you are okay, no one was worried but thank God anyway.

What a bite on the butt that was, Hope you left a back door in that program :wink:

Should I send Uncle Guido and cousin Vinny out to help ya?

They weren't actually blaming me. Thats a good thing, its a bad enough situation for me as is. But in reality I was to be a value add for the company. They brought me on to service the clients that wanted websites, custom programming, databases and the like. The main problem is that this isn't a software company so they had no real idea how to manage me. When a big client came along and offered big bucks to bring me on to do this HR app, they pretty much told me to just go and to it. When I tried to put the brakes on, no one listened.

They didn't manage the clients expectations properly so the scope didn't creep its more like it galloped out of control. Everyday they were asking for new features, and when I would tell them I couldn't include them for the initial release my employer got a call that I was being combative.

All in all, not a good experience.

Yup ...

Again, sorry to hear it. However, like you, myself, and numerious others, it becomes a learning/life experience. Every bump we drive over on the road of life tends to make us more cautious during the drive. Eventually, things smooth out pretty good. Things will improve!

Absolutely! I like to just jump in and start coding, but I am finding (after being beaten over the head with it over and over) that this is NOT the best approach.

Alot of non-programmer types think programming timelines are bloated and there is too much time allotted on the front end for planning and architecting. But I say you should have even more! You should allow time for your engineers to just sit in a conference room and blow holes in the design. Flowcharting, UML, documentation, oh my!! It all leads to a successfull project. Its amazing how it simplifies the programming too. You don't have to devote as much time to figuring out the bigger picture, and you can concentrate on just the logic.

Ya know what busts my chops?

Before you can get a project frozen for a period of time, some dim bulb is requesting enhancements or directional changes. Get a project rolled out and running for a few weeks, then accept a review groups input to the changes and additions.

I give project times bloated with a fudge factor on purpose. Then unforseen things, and some dim bulb popups, get taken care of.

Ah well ~sigh~

Yes, exaggerating the time line is a lesson learned. Locking down the project scope is another lesson, but one that has proved difficult to get employers and clients to understand.

"What do you mean you can't add that!? Its just a button click!" *cringe