Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Unused hardware...

Thread: Unused hardware...

Unused hardware...

Alright, here is a question. I have about 10 rack servers, a filer (10 TB), and an fiber line coming into my office right now. My boss recently told me that they were left over from a client that never paid up and just sitting around waiting to be used. He said if I could come up with a good (read: money making) use for them they are mine to admin and do with as I please. So here is my question I am putting out for general consideration. What can I do with these to make some money?

I have thought about the possibility of game servers, web hosting, DOS attack s against microsoft.com :roll: . Any Foo-ites have any other ideas? Let me hear them.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Start a file hosting service......

Or donate it to linuxtracker. I could set up one heck of a torrent server seeding all the linux torrents I wanted.... \

Oh a linux repository!

What do you mean by filehosting? Kind of a pay for an ftp account type thingee?
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A pay for use newsgroup server. this will pay the bills while running a linux repository on the side.

Hmm, good idea but there are alot of newgroup servers already out there, and now with Google news the competition would be fierce. I will look into this more tho. Thanks for the idea Wildheart.
    jro -

Mentor

Just how big is that?

That sounds like a lot of horsepower. Just how much could you run with that mother?

Ebay or CraigsList or the like for possible solicition for service?

Mark could start another hundred web-sites, w00t.

Mentor

SETI

That woud crank some SETI units!

I have Folding @ Home running on some of them now. My ranking is definitely going up, but my income isn't. Herein lies the problem. I can find all sort of fun things to do with them, that will definitely chew up disk space and bandwidth but won't bring in a dime. So there I am..

The news server idea Wildheart came up with might have merit. I need to do some checking.

The company I work for primarily specializes in setting up networks. What if we offered services (newsgroups, Jabber, etc) hosting to the clients we installed for on a yearly basis? They use we admin and maintain, hmmmm.
    jro -