Thread: System Back-Up

Angry

Hello,
    I'm not a computer buff, so please forgive me if I post a silly question!
    I recently upgraded my computer from Windows ME to Windows XP.
    I bought the Windows XP Home Edition and after installing it it took days to download and install all the Security Up-dates automatically provided by Microsoft. Because I'm on a Dial-up connection these updates are always annoying.
    Here is my question:
    Is it possible to make a System Back-up including all the updates up today by just copying the C:\ partition to a second hard drive? :blink:

Why not just use XP's backup utility?

However, you might notice that the Backup utility is not included in the default installation of Windows XP Home Edition. The Backup icon is not present on the Start menu in Windows XP Home Edition, nor is Backup listed in Add Remove Programs for Windows XP Home edition.

Note: Automated System Recovery is not a supported feature in Windows XP Home Edition using Backup, but Backup is provided on the CD-ROM as additional value to help back up critical system data.

For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    KB 302700

Manually Install the Backup Utility
    To manually install Backup:
    1. Double-click the Ntbackup.msi file in the following location on the Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM to start a wizard that installs Backup:
    CD-ROM Drive:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP
    2. When the wizard is complete, click Finish.

Originally posted by David Wright@Oct 17 2006, 03:23 PM
    Why not just use XP's backup utility?.......
    Manually Install the Backup Utility
    To manually install Backup:
    1. Double-click the Ntbackup.msi file in the following location on the Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM to start a wizard that installs Backup:
    CD-ROM Drive:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP
    2. When the wizard is complete, click Finish.
    [snapback]6602[/snapback]
    Thank you David....though it is was not exactly what I was looking for....because I thought I could back up (copy) the whole C:\Windows and Program Files and Documents and Settings to my second hard drive. But it certainly helps to be save in case I crash my computer.
    Thanks again
    JayGee

BTW are you a Linux user too? I just installed UBUNTU!

Originally posted by JayGee@Oct 18 2006, 12:04 PM
    BTW are you a Linux user too? I just installed UBUNTU!
    Yeah, I've been using Linux for a long time now. I've tried Ubuntu, it's a good release. However, I prefer to use Debian because I'm using Xebian on my Xboxes and I wanted to keep to the same bases. It's good to see other people using Linux as well.

Hi David and thank you for the instructions to install the Windows BackUp utility. It worked exactly as you described it.
    Originally posted by David Wright@Oct 18 2006, 12:10 PM
    Yeah, I've been using Linux for a long time now.* I've tried Ubuntu, it's a good release.* However, I prefer to use Debian because I'm using Xebian on my Xboxes and I wanted to keep to the same bases.* It's good to see other people using Linux as well.**
    [snapback]6614[/snapback]
    ...back to Windows XP...I have Ubuntu and Windows XP installed on my computer, though on two different HDD's. But I want to have a Dual Boot System and I also want to access my Windows HD while running Linux. So, for the worst case scenario...working in Linux and accessing/wrecking Windows.. I want to make sure that my Windows installation with all the updates until now can be backed up so that I don't have to worry about all the system set-up's and updates. I always back-up my WinUser partition ( "Home" in Linux). Will>Start>All Programs>Accessories>Systemtools>BackUp do this for me? :unsure:

Originally posted by JayGee@Oct 21 2006, 10:59 PM
    Hi David and thank you for the instructions to install the Windows BackUp utility. It worked exactly as you described it.
    ...back to Windows XP...I have Ubuntu and Windows XP installed on my computer, though on two different HDD's. But I want to have a Dual Boot System and I also want to access my Windows HD while running Linux. So, for the worst case scenario...working in Linux and accessing/wrecking Windows.. I want to make sure that my Windows installation with all the updates until now can be backed up so that I don't have to worry about all the system set-up's and updates. I always back-up my WinUser partition ( "Home" in Linux). Will>Start>All Programs>Accessories>Systemtools>BackUp do this for me? :unsure:
    [snapback]6628[/snapback]
    Personally, I have not used the backup tool in conjunction with Linux. However, given the current Linux/NTFS compatibility issues, I would keep them seperate. You might want to think about creating another partition specifically for the windows backups, and keep it seperate from Linux. I will look into this scenario further, and hopefully have a more detailed answer for you by the weekend. Unfortunately, I can't do it sooner, as I am swamped with work right now.

edit: I am not sure if this is what you were asking, so if I misunderstood you, please post back.