Thread: Office 2000 trouble

I bought this computer new, several years ago, with ME and have since installed XP Home. When I open Word, it starts the install and asks me to insert the CD. I didn't get a CD since this was bundled by Comp USA. If I cancel the install Word will then open. Excel on the other hand will not open. I'm fairly certain it's not a nasties problem, I've run all the usual scans Adaware, Spybot, Panda, Norton, etc., etc. and so on. I've also attemted to repair but that also asks for the CD. I think I'm probably screwed without the original CD, but was wondering if anybody has any ideas for a possible cause and work around? Since I have a ligitemate Licence, i don't want to spend hundred's of dollars for new software. any and all help will be appreciated!!

Originally posted by moctc@Oct 6 2006, 10:15 AM
    I bought this computer new, several years ago, with ME and have since installed XP Home. When I open Word, it starts the install and asks me to insert the CD. I didn't get a CD since this was bundled by Comp USA. If I cancel the install Word will then open. Excel on the other hand will not open. I'm fairly certain it's not a nasties problem, I've run all the usual scans Adaware, Spybot, Panda, Norton, etc., etc. and so on. I've also attemted to repair but that also asks for the CD. I think I'm probably screwed without the original CD, but was wondering if anybody has any ideas for a possible cause and work around? Since I have a ligitemate Licence, i don't want to spend hundred's of dollars for new software. any and all help will be appreciated!!
    [snapback]6577[/snapback]
    Hi,
    This error comes up because the installation of Office Professional done on your computer is not a Complete install. It is a Typical install. In this type of install some of the features are not enabled. You get this error message as Word and others oftwares require certain other features to be installed.
    You will require the Cd for this. You will have to follow the following steps to resolve this:
    1. Insert the CD for Microsoft Office in the CD Drive.
    2. Go to Start. Go to control Panel.
    3. Select add/remove programs. Under add/remove programs, select Microsoft Office Professional and click on change.
    4. In the maintainence mode options, select add or remove features and click on next.
    5. In the add or remove features window, left click on the gray box next to Microsoft Office and select run all from my computer and select update to update the Office installation.
    6. Once the updation is complete, restart the computer and try using Word.
    I am quite sure you will not face the problem any more.
    And as far as teh Cd issue is concerned, you can always get it from the vendor you bought this computer from or the company that gave this computer with microsoft Office.
    Also, another alternative would be to go ahead and use any of your friends' Office Professional disc to update the installation as we just require the installation files for the software from the CD and nothing else.
    Regards
    Shavez M