Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Ubuntu 5.10

View Poll Results: Why is Ubuntu so good?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fatal says so

1 33.33%
  • It is free

1 33.33%
  • Mark has a beard

1 33.33%

Thread: Ubuntu 5.10

Hybrid View

Mentor

Ubuntu 5.10

What else? DL'ed, baked a disk and viola! Install....GOOD

I will start playing with it and report back!

Mentor

Does it work?

Posting from my crappy old l'top. Guess it works.

Stay tuned, re will return with further updates!

I like it 'cause it's free. Be damned if I ever used it though ops: . Any day now... :P
    Steve

Mentor

I comming to get you

Dude, I will set you straight this weekend.

Yeah, Ubuntu is fairly nice, but I dont understand all the hype. I dont see that it makes anything easier for anyone, and the fedora-like lack of multimedia is something that is a little of a letdown.

I prefer Gentoo nowadays. I like struggling to get my system working. When it goes, it goes like a jet...
    My Website:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Website Uptime:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

Well, the update manager is nice for people just getting started to linux from windows. I believe redhat has something similar, but their install isn't as simplified if I recall correctly. Also, Ubuntu doesn't have a root account, which again is nice for newbs, but those who need to tinker will end up making the account.

For now I'm all about ease of use (using mepis currently). Once I have something that works, I'll look for something to tinker with, but I am always open to suggestions.

Yeah, Mepis is a great Distro. I love how it had multimedia right out of the box, and the driver installation for Nvidia and ATI is really easy too. I just wished that they had a newer Nvidia driver, then I might move on over, but I couldn't find anything on the net that tells me how to update the existing driver.
    My Website:

My Website Uptime:

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+