Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Setting up ftp access on Server 2003
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting up ftp access on Server 2003

Hello all,

I have been trying to do a little "hands-on" learning w/ Server 2003 Enterprise here at home. I have the server set up on a machine connected my home LAN in a workgroup configuration. I have the typical broadband connection running through a Linksys wired/wireless router.

What I would like to be able to do for now is set up the machine as an ftp/file server, and be able to give certain people access while making it secure. I have read a few things online, but I thought I would post here to see if anyone has had experience with this situation. Your expertise, and or the point in the right direction would be a great help.

If you need any more info, just say the word.

Thanks

Do you know if Internet information Server is installed? if not, go to add remove program --> Add/Remove Windows Components

highlight the "Application Server' click the details button. If IIS is installed you will see it checked. highlight it and click the details button and look to see if File Transfer Protocol (FTP) service is check. if not, check it and click ok until it installs it.

When all of that is done let me know
    RickDev
    "Nobody knows what I do until I stop doing it."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    |
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    |

Also, let me know exactly how much knowledge you have so that I am not talking above your head or talking down to you. I hate assuming anything when I am trying to help someone out.

RickDev

|
    |

I appreciate the consideration.

I have had the entry A+/Net+ certs for a bit, now I'm digging into the MCSA curriculum, and I tend to do better hands-on...... break-fix type of thing..... more breaking than fixing right now. It's good to have toys at home to fiddle with.

IIS 6.0 is installed along with the ftp service. I have read a few things regarding setting up the "default" website within the IIS mgmt console, and I used it as a template to set up another site. We'll call it MySite. Anyway, I have also set the ftp port to be different than the standard 21.

I believe most ftp traffic is less than encrypted (depending on the client you use). I'd like to be able to use the built-in services for the time being. Maybe have the users connect via VPN? I digress......

Thanks

I'm open to any suggestions......

Are you looking for a encrypted FTP server or just trying to make it as secure as you can?

Sounds like you are on track when it comes to setting up the actual FTP service, ports and firewall settings needed.

RickDev

|
    |

Just as secure as I can unless it becomes necessary to harden the server further.

On a somewhat related note, I was giving the RRAS a try, and users were able to connect via VPN, but unable to view my shared folder. I was able to get one person to view it by IP once inside my LAN, but that's about it. Any ideas?

Originally posted by BaronVonPoo@Jul 11 2006, 12:37 PM
    On a somewhat related note, I was giving the RRAS a try, and users were able to connect via VPN, but unable to view my shared folder.* I was able to get one person to view it by IP once inside my LAN, but that's about it.* Any ideas?
    [snapback]6215[/snapback]

They could only view by IP then it is a DNS setting. If the connecting user is using their ISP's DNS entries it will not find a host on your network correctly unless WINS or the Host file has been edited. That is how I have correct that issue before. I ahve not played too much with the RRAS only the VPN clients connecting to a Netgear router VIA VPN.

As far as securing FTP here is a good link.
    RickDev

|
    |

Good link!

I have my ftp up and running, and i'm gonna have a few users log in at their leisure to see if any problems arise. On another note, if I set the server to any other port than 21, it won't grant access..... I was kind of hoping to stray away from the usual ports for added security. I'm looking into it, but if you have any ideas on that, it would be helpful as well.