Well, I have always used a debian based distro because of APT-GET. YOu just can't beat it. However, I began remembering why I used Linux in the first place - the adventure, and spending hours changing my Operating System into my living space. So, how could I possibly be adventurous, I have practically tried every popular distro there is, except for one - Gentoo. The gentoo install was far too much for my pathetic 512kb ADSL connection, so I decided that I would switch to Gentoo using the very schmick VidaLinux 1.2. It uses a Fedora installer, but it still is Gentoo, it even compiles the whole installation from source, which takes longer, but it is worth it in the end. The install finished, and I have a very nice GNOME 2.10.1 desktop compiled from source, and everything runs very quickly (after all, it was built for my system).

Let me tell you this, if you have been avoiding gentoo because of the difficulty involved, especially with the install, then VidaLinux 1.2 is for you. It provides GUI tools that make everything easy; and there is also a great package manager called emerge. It is practically like APT-GET, except is compiles the software from source while still resolving all dependencies. I have had a couple of problems with it, and if you want to know more about my adventure with Gentoo, you can read it at my blog which is located on my website. I will update it all the time.