Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

W Explorer can't handle long file names

Thread: W Explorer can't handle long file names

Hello. While Windows usually allows me to make long file names (by this, I mean 200 - 215 characters) it sometimes freezes up when trying to work with them. For instance. I can make a 200 + character file name for a jpg file in Photoshop stored to Explorer. However, sometimes when I:

1) during one session move it from one folder to another, no problem. But, when I try to move/copy it to a second folder, the prompt often says "file name too long."

2) If I have a 200 + file name (and sometimes even as small as 100 characters!!!) it may not open in Photoshop until I chop the name down to some size Explorer likes at that time.

3) If I have some of the 200 - 215 character file names in a folder and try to move the folder, I sometimes can't. And such a folder sometimes didn't delete in W2000 nor after my upgrade to XP (to solve this problem) despite giving the "right" (I don' know the term) to do so. Eventually, though, over the coming weeks or so, it is possible to delete such folders - I don't know the circumstances why.

4) Sometimes these files when moved or copied are truncated in the process and don't open unless the jpg extension is added.

All told, the long file name issue can cause things to take three to five times as long. When working with dozens of files, this can drag a session out.

Would appreciate some ideas on how to handle this.

Thanks,

Marc Washington

What version of Windows are you using and is your Hard drive using NTFS?
    RickDev
    "Nobody knows what I do until I stop doing it."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    |
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    |

Originally posted by RickDev@Feb 10 2006, 09:56 PM
    What version of Windows are you using and is your Hard drive using NTFS?
    [snapback]5581[/snapback]
    I am using Windows Home version now with FAT partitions. I encountered these problems first in w2000 using NTFS. Upgraded to Home with NTFS and still had them. Upgraded to Windows Professional with NTFS and still had them. Had unrelated problems in Word but that along with the continued problem with long file names caused me to think that going back to Windows Home might work if in addition I converted to FAT - which I did; and that's what I have now. So, I still have this long file name problem under FAT (my drive is partitioned with the operating system under NTFS and the data partition under FAT).

Thanks,

Marc

Mentor
    It's wierd that it works sometimes and other times it doesn't. Just to be on the safe side, make sure the file is not being used somewhere else. Like moving a JPEG while it's already opened in Photoshop - that will cause the problem but might not be the case in this scenario.

Second thing that comes to my mind is to make sure you have latest drivers for your IDE controller. Usually you can get the latest ones from motherboard manufacturer's website. It could potentially be something on the hardware level that's not functioning properly. Try updating IDE controller drivers, maybe even shoot an e-mail to the motherboard manufacturer to see if they can duplicate the problem on the same IDE controller device.

Also, make sure you have your hard drive setup properly in the BIOS. If it's at AUTO, try plugging in the values from the hard drive itself into the BIOS. Do this if all else fails. Sometimes certain hard drive will refuse to function as designed when you have the BIOS automatically detecting the drive at each bootup sequence.

That's about all I can think of after my long day at work. I hope I will at least get you in the right direction.

Originally posted by genesis@Feb 11 2006, 10:16 AM
    Also, make sure you have your hard drive setup properly in the BIOS. If it's at AUTO, try plugging in the values from the hard drive itself into the BIOS. Do this if all else fails. Sometimes certain hard drive will refuse to function as designed when you have the BIOS automatically detecting the drive at each bootup sequence.
    [snapback]5595[/snapback]

Hi. My IT helper said it was not possible to try the IDE solution as with my configuration, my mirror drive in my second slot would not boot up if I used it as the master there. But, he did download the new drivers for my Intel mother board. Sorry to say, it gives evidence that it may not work. What happened is the following. After its installation yesterday, I tried saving a document with a long file name (180 - 200 characters) but got the prompt that the name was too long. I had to shorten it.

If you have other ideas, I would be grateful for your help.

Thanks,

Marc W.

Mentor
    I'll look up some info, hopefully will give you some more ideas.

Will be waiting to hear from you.

Thank you.

Marc

Been trying to find any information on this and have not found anything so far. Will keep my eye open though.

RickDev
    "Nobody knows what I do until I stop doing it."

|
    |

Originally posted by RickDev@Feb 14 2006, 02:41 PM
    Been trying to find any information on this and have not found anything so far. Will keep my eye open though.
    [snapback]5617[/snapback]
    Thank you.

Marc