Thread: Help please!

Hello, I truly need some assistance here.

I am running Windows XP home edition (media center). It came with my computer (and the darned computer support only knows how to erase everything and restore), I would like to avoid that. And why do that when Windows is starting anyway.

I installed a few things and then...

During boot up now I get that black screen with white letters (I hate that screen :angry: ) And now it gives me some option between 2 operating systems. Here is my current boot.ini file:
    ---------------------
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /KERNEL=boot.exe
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Resto re Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    ---------------------
    I have no idea what this is about. BUT, here are some clues. When I try to start it in the first one: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /KERNEL=boot.exe

It just does nothing except trying to reboot the computer over and over and going into the safe mode screen and not allowing me to even enter safe mode anyway.

With the second option (Thank god it's there :unsure: ) it will bring up another screen asking me if I want to start windows normally or in safe mode. When I choose normally the computer starts (I haven't checked the safe mode, I am counting my lucky stars I can even get into windows still).

Doies anyone know what happened or what's going on? I would be eternally appreciative of any tech adive.

Thank you!

Keith

UPDATE, I think I know the issue but would like confirmation. If I just erase the two commands and replace them with only this: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

It should be fine right? I added that to my boot.ini file and now it gives me 3 options and when that one is taken it seems to boot fine. Will it default to that one if there are no others in the Boot.ini file?

That should work! Make sure you have multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS under the default as well. Good luck and please let us know if it works.

RickDev
    "Nobody knows what I do until I stop doing it."

Florida Web Design | Online Geek Hangout | Office Pranks and Humor

Originally posted by RickDev@Feb 8 2006, 09:03 AM
    That should work! Make sure you have multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS under the default as well. Good luck and please let us know if it works.
    [snapback]5554[/snapback]
    Yes that worked. I erased the other two and everything starts fine. Not sure still how it got that way. But a quick word of advice, NEVER trust tech support from a computer company! Well...maybe Apple, but that's all. They want you to just erase and restore the drive...their answer for everything.

Well I hope you will be able to trust the advise here

RickDev
    "Nobody knows what I do until I stop doing it."

Florida Web Design | Online Geek Hangout | Office Pranks and Humor