Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Steam Server

Thread: Steam Server

Steam Server

Well, I thought I might get my own steam server up and running for when I get the linuxgamers.r8.org site finally complete, but I am having a little trouble. This is what I have done:

1.) I downloaded the linux server, and then proceeded to download the Day of Defeat contents so that we could play on that.

2.) I also downloaded shrikebot and shrikebot works perfectly on the running server (taunts, whines, sprays logos on people that it had a hard time killing, camps).

3.) Now, I set up my router to direct all incoming traffic to port 27015 of my server (which has the internal i.p of 10.1.1.2). I also told the router to open the 27015 port on the firewall, to let the server send it's packets to the users.

4.) I have a dynamic I.P. I downloaded a dyndns updater, and appended my steam server to my dyndns account. It does change I.P when my I.P changes (it hardly ever does).

5.) I cannot access the server from the internet from my steam client machine, although it does see it from the lan screen, and I can join and play the server no problems.

6.) i thought that I might need someone from outside of the internal network to check out the server, but when I joined games, the people that were willing to see my server could not find it, even if they entered my ttgale.dnsdojo.org:27015 address.

7.) So what have I done wrong?

And before you say, "Steam?". I am running my client and my server on Linux machines, the client, thanks to cedega. Runs real nicely too!
    My Website: http://ttgale.com
    My Website Uptime: http://img.uptimeprj.com/holastickbo...dee9bae2e2.png
    My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

I'm not real familiar with Steam, but I'd have to say it's somewhere in the router config. Do you let lan communicate freely out? Do you allow ping, if it's needed? I'd have to look into Steam more to have more suggestions.

Good Guru
    what is the status here with this?

Beez hasn't been around the forum much lately. His site has been down too.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Good Guru
    Ahh.

Kinda curious as to what the problem really ended up being. I love Valve's games, but havent run a native dedicated server (usually more on the playing side of linux). Cedega has allowed me to play it fine. Wasnt sure what his issues were.

Have two DoD servers right now if anyone wants to play......
    arrogance breeds ignorance

Screaming Electron, Full of BSD Goodness

......wait

Cedega lets you play steam on Linux?!?!?!?!?!

I finally have a reason to purchase it!

Steam on Cedega is horrible. It was good until 3.x, and now it is pretty close to worthless. I've pretty much given up on Cedega ever since it changed from WineX to Cedega. They have gone downhill with their development. While they get some games working, they never keep up with them in keeping them working. Steam was the main one I wanted to work, and it use to work great, but they sort of gave up on it. You have to use the old Steam binary, which they provide in their downloads, and you can't update it. Half the time, it freezes up, and good luck even getting a game to open. I can't even count the number of times I tried to get it to work, and Cedega forums were just filled with posts about these bugs, with ZERO solutions. GG.
    arrogance breeds ignorance

Screaming Electron, Full of BSD Goodness

wow... that blows.... wonder when steam will get smart and realize how many of its users are fans of linux