Operating system Windows XP professional on a Compaq Armada E700 (with upgrades, also have a hardware list available)

The wireless internet card works perfect for accessing the internet but I can not access through ethernet cable.

I hope I am attacking the right area:

Using the device manager I saw that my ?OTHER PCI Simple Communication Controller? is not properly working. I tried disable & enable which was accomplished but would still get an error ?Device not configured correctly (Code 1)?.

I did find a updated driver on the WEB (I am on a business trip and cannot get my Compaq or the original ME Operating System or XP CD) for my 3Com modem (see next paragraph) and installed it through the Installation Wizard .

I next attempted to update the driver and XP at least attempted to backup the old driver then install the new one. At this point XP identified that I have the ?Compaq Global MiniPCI 56K (V.90) Modem by 3COM? The hardware list I received in 2002 from Compaq based on my serial number showed an upgrade for the E700 and that I have a ?MINIPCI 56K MODEM V.90-II., Is this my problem?

Anyway while trying to install the driver XP is gives an error message ?File ?WMCACAA.sy_? on (unknown) is needed?. After performing a Search all I can find is files named WMCACCAA without any extensions. I attempted to renamed the file WMCACAA to WMCACAA.sy_in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers. But this did not work.

Do I have the wrong driver, if so where can I down load the right one?

Other information that might be useful:

The ?OTHER PCI Simple Communication Controller Modem was identified as PCI bus 0, device 9, function 0

Upon search for files containing the phrase ?WMCACAA.sys?, I found a file identified as a Script containing the phrase:

"C:\DOCUME~1\EGH\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0 .DIR\WMCACAA.sy_" to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\WMCACAA.sys" via temporary file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\SET18.tmp".

Other than dropping the E700 out the window while racing to buy a new laptop, do you have any suggestions?