Thread: Undisconnectable Disconnected Network Drives

First off, I'm a desktop/support person for my company and I'm hoping someone could help me out with a problem regarding automatically assigned network drives, and how to remove them.

I have a user with WinXPPro and has a couple of drives mapped to some of our networks (B, P, S, X) and ones that are assigned to the hard drive and optical drive (C and D). The problem is that all the other letters have been automatically assigned as well, each one with a display name "Disconnected Network Drive" If you open any of these auto assigned drives, it connects to one of our network folders despite its disconnected label. The problem is that I cannot disconnect the network drive. I've tried it in Windows (both right clicking and Tools > Disconnect Network Drive...) as well as through the dos prompt (the "net use" command doesn't display the drives automatically assigned).

On my end, I've tried using a login script (Active Directory UC Home folder) that forced a letter to be mapped to a certain location. So when she logs in, that letter we've assigned is pointing in the correct direction. Initially, this worked as only the letters that we've assigned appear. But after a few minutes, each unassigned letter would automatically appear one by one, ending when all available letters are used up.

Check this link out. Go to the last two answers in the post, there was two different solutions, one was a issue with Symantec Antivirus Copr v10.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11184-0.h...threadID=180065
    RickDev
    "Nobody knows what I do until I stop doing it."

Florida Web Design | Online Geek Hangout | Office Pranks and Humor

Originally posted by RickDev@Sep 23 2005, 10:02 AM
    Check this link out. Go to the last two answers in the post, there was two different solutions, one was a issue with Symantec Antivirus Copr v10.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11184-0.h...threadID=180065
    [snapback]5416[/snapback]
    Thanks

This solution worked for me. These undisconnectable drives were appearing on my W2k3 terminal server & WinXP computers. It appears the DoScan.exe file was causing this to happen. By default when Symantec corp v10 client is installed, it sets up a quick scan under the "Startup Scans" in the client console.