Thread: 98se recovery help

Hello all,

Hey, I have a 98se laptop that I need to save and I was wondering if you guys could help.

The laptop says it has a problem with explorer.exe and that I need to reinstall windows. My client dosn't have a backup of his files so I don't want to wipe out the hard drive and reinstall.

What are a few things I could try to fix his drive without wiping it out?

P.S.
    I'm running scandisk now but it loks like it locked up.

Thanks

P.S.S
    Man its been a while since I worked this hard on a 98. Guess I'm getting spoiled with all my XP workstations.

Have you tried booting into safe mode?

Mentor
    I guess I missed your thread chance, sorry. The best thing, most reliable that I'd recommend is to take the drive out, put the adapter on it so you can hook it up on any desktop computer OR use a USB drive box. An adapter can be purchased at any computer store for about 5 to 10 bucks and it's a good investment.

Back it up, Fdisk it, take it out, put it back in the lappy and install again.

You'll have everything that way.

Other suggestions as waj said, try booting into safe mode but I don't know how much that'll help if it's having problem with explorer.exe

Associate
    Is there some way you can get a known good copy of Explorer? If so, you can simply put it on floppy disk, go out to full DOS mode, and overwrite the existing explorer.exe, and reboot, and you'll be good to go. It has worked for me several times in a pinch.

If all else fails, I would just redo Windows. Don't reformat, that should be saved only as a last resort. Only when reinstalling, you can go to full DOS mode, create a 98 install directory, copy the files in X:\Win98 (where X:\ is the drive letter of your CD-ROM), and install from there without the CD.