Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Port 80???

Hybrid View

Associate
    I have a networked PC that can do file and printer sharing with the host and other clients but cannot connect to the Internet, apparently because I have a Port 80 situation.

I am a fairly experienced user but have never (even) heard of this problem before. When I check the connectivity of the Internet, I am connected. I even hear pop-ups getting zonked. Apparently my http synchronization is out of whack tho as I can not sign on to any web site.

HELP?

Mentor
    A few questions for you,

What kind of router or hub are you using?
    How many computers on the network?
    Can you ping msforums.org?

Associate
    Originally posted by genesis@Feb 23 2005, 01:40 PM
    A few questions for you,

[snapback]4276[/snapback]

3 computers--they have all previously worked perfectly, including the problem child--on a Linksys router.

I will try pinging--THX!

Associate
    Originally posted by genesis@Feb 23 2005, 01:40 PM
    A few questions for you,

[snapback]4276[/snapback]
    No, cannot ping msforum.org

Mentor
    Check your router to see if it is recognizing the computer. Most routers have an option something like "Attached devices" or something. Besides that you can also delete and create a new LAN connection. Also make sure you're getting an IP address.

To see your IP address, click on start - run - type, cmd - in the command prompt type ipconfig and hit enter. It should show you the IP address, post it here. It should be something like 192.168.1.2

Associate
    Originally posted by genesis@Feb 23 2005, 02:25 PM
    Check your router to see if it is recognizing the computer. Most routers have an option something like "Attached devices" or something. Besides that you can also delete and create a new LAN connection. Also make sure you're getting an IP address.

To see your IP address, click on start - run - type, cmd - in the command prompt type ipconfig and hit enter. It should show you the IP address, post it here. It should be something like 192.168.1.2
    [snapback]4279[/snapback]
    I appreciate your help!

The thing is, the router allows this PC to share 2 networked printers and file share with 2 PC's. So, it seems to me the router is recognizing the computer, right?

I do get an IP address, exactly like the one you suggested; 192-168.1.XXX (three digits).

Like I said, I can see that I am connected to the Internet, I just cannot get Google (or any other web page) to load. Is this a Port 80 problem?

THX!

Jim

Mentor
    Right, you are getting the IP and the router's recognizing the computer. No it's not a port 80 problem from what I see, unless you have some specific error message, post it up.

Issues of this nature are mostly DNS issues. Here's a couple of things you can do.

1. Do a search on your C drive for a filename "hosts" with no extension. You should find two files, lmhosts and hosts. Rename the hosts file to hosts-old and restart the computer. it's safe to rename this file, just don't delete it. Restarting the computer will regenerate this file and if in case it doesn't, we have the old one to rename back. After restart do a same search to be sure.

2. After restart go to command prompt and issue a command "ipconfig -flushdns". This will flush any wrong DNS cache, restart again just to be on the safe side.

3. Go to Network Connections, right click on the active connection and click on properties. Double click on TCP/IP and make sure both settings are set to Obtain. Specially the DNS address should be obtained automatically. If it's not, change it to automatic settings and restart the computer once again.

If all else fails, we'll then go to your internet explorer settings. There might be something that the network doesn't like, maybe a proxy address is put in but we'll go there after you've done the above.

Associate
    Originally posted by genesis@Feb 23 2005, 03:01 PM
    Right, you are getting the IP and the router's recognizing the computer. No it's not a port 80 problem from what I see, unless you have some specific error message, post it up.

Issues of this nature are mostly DNS issues. Here's a couple of things you can do.

1. Do a search on your C drive for a filename "hosts" with no extension. You should find two files, lmhosts and hosts. Rename the hosts file to hosts-old and restart the computer. it's safe to rename this file, just don't delete it. Restarting the computer will regenerate this file and if in case it doesn't, we have the old one to rename back. After restart do a same search to be sure.

2. After restart go to command prompt and issue a command "ipconfig -flushdns". This will flush any wrong DNS cache, restart again just to be on the safe side.

3. Go to Network Connections, right click on the active connection and click on properties. Double click on TCP/IP and make sure both settings are set to Obtain. Specially the DNS address should be obtained automatically. If it's not, change it to automatic settings and restart the computer once again.

If all else fails, we'll then go to your internet explorer settings. There might be something that the network doesn't like, maybe a proxy address is put in but we'll go there after you've done the above.
    [snapback]4281[/snapback]
    There were 2 hosts and made both old. PLEASE give me the correct syntax for flush dns.

THX!

Associate
    Originally posted by jeb22@Feb 23 2005, 03:17 PM
    There were 2 hosts and made both old.* PLEASE give me the correct syntax for flush dns.

THX!
    [snapback]4282[/snapback]
    Sorry--you did give me the correct syntax

Working on your directions!

Associate
    Originally posted by jeb22@Feb 23 2005, 03:19 PM
    Sorry--you did give me the correct syntax

Working on your directions!
    [snapback]4283[/snapback]

OK, that did not work!

"The page cannot be displayed" when I start IE. Should I delete my LAN conncetion and create a new one?